Global Warming Is an Issue | Teen Ink

Global Warming Is an Issue

Global warming is a big issue. Imagine you are taking a vacation and driving through a highway going 70 miles per hour with carbon dioxide spewing out of the tailpipe. You probably do not think where that carbon dioxide is going. You see an open field with farms and cattle over the sound barrier. You don’t think it, but soon there may not be as many Farms or plantations. It all started from you and your car and everyone else on the freeway. If you think you are not doing much to the environment, think again because that is what everyone else thinks and Global warming is a reality. People use the freeway because you get to your destination quicker, although it does use more gas. Many cities have lots highways going through the middle. Usually, those highways have sound barriers, and those barriers may have an effect on pollution.

People use highways every day. When people use highways, they get to their destination faster, although it uses more gas. They use gas by combustion. Combustion is when a substance reacts rapidly with oxygen. The substance is named fuel and the oxygen is the oxidizer. Fire begins with the ignition. A match is a good ignition device. Friction creates enough heat to light the phosphorus at the end of a match. Smoke is coming from the end of the flame which is carbon connected to o2. That smoke comes out of car exhausts and pollutes the air around us.

Next to the highways are usually sound barriers where houses and shops are. Another aspect for the carbon dioxide is what type of gas a car uses. There are different gases for different engines. For example, a semi-truck would most likely use diesel. Diesel is a mixture of hydrocarbons, and their boiling points are between 150 to 180-Celsius which are obtained from petroleum. The petroleum is composed of three hydrocarbons (1) Paraffinic, (2)naphthenic, and (3) aromatic hydrocarbons. Usually, a car would have natural gas. Natural gas is a flammable gas which has a large amount of methane and other hydrocarbons, occurring naturally underground often with association with petroleum and used as fuel for cars. With two major gases for car use, using diesel engines could reduce greenhouse gas emissions such as carbon dioxide and methane

Wind is formed when unequal heat energy from the sun, the state of the air differentiate between different regions. Warm air expands and goes up while cold air condenses and goes down, as a result the flow of air forms wind. Wind may blow toward the sound barriers, and dip in between the sound barriers and flow out and may come out and not go straight over the houses. The smoke may form into eddy currents that flow down to peoples houses and goes to their houses and gets in their bodies. Carbon dioxide is a colorless gas. The formula of carbon dioxide is CO2.

CO2 occurs in small quantities in earth’s atmosphere. The earth’s ocean, soil, plants, and animals all release carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide molecule has 2 oxygen atoms that each share 2 electrons with a carbon atom to make 2 carbon and oxygen bonds. The atoms are arranged as OHT. This is called a linear molecule. All of that Carbon Dioxide flows into the air and starts damaging the ozone layer.

The ozone layer is a layer of the earth’s atmosphere that protects us from the sun’s harmful UV rays. The Ozone layers chemical formula is O3. Ozone is a special form oxygen with the chemical formula O3. In which the oxygen that we breathe is totally vital to life on earth which has O2.  The ozone takes up very little amount of our atmosphere, nevertheless the Ozone is very vital to us human beings on earth. UV rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation, as are radio waves, infrared radiation, and gamma rays. The UV rays that come from the sun are invisible to the naked eye, although can do some pretty harmful damage.The region where the ozone is is the stratosphere. With the ozone getting torn down, the sun’s rays will be more harmful.