Global Warming and You | Teen Ink

Global Warming and You

March 18, 2009
By Amanda Woods BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
Amanda Woods BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Global Warming and You
Global warming means an increase in the average temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere over time. The rising temperature is a result of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses increasing in our atmosphere.
When sunlight hits the Earth’s surface, only some of it is released back into space. The rest of the sunlight is reflected towards space as heat, but cannot be released because greenhouse gasses absorb and trap the heat in the atmosphere. Normal amounts of gases keep the Earth at a habitable temperature, though the build up of gasses beyond the normal levels and at a rate that the environment cannot compete with is what causes global warming. Air temperatures are rising, as are ocean temperatures, and they are expected to keep rising.
So what can you do? A lot!
Tire Pressure:
When your tires are correctly inflated, you can boost your gas mileage up to 3%!
CFL’s:
These little guys can help us cut electricity use by as much as half. CFL’s are fluorescent lights that screw into any regular socket. They have the same light as an incandescent bulb or a halogen bulb and only use 25% of the electricity!

Recycle:

Recycling is a lot less wasteful than throwing something in the garbage, but it’s just as simple.

You

So it’s that easy. There are a million different things that could be done. Just three simple changes can make all the difference. It’s all up to you.


I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.
- Eugene Victor Debs