Saving Water Is Importaint | Teen Ink

Saving Water Is Importaint

By Gabe(::) BRONZE, Pepper Pike, Ohio
Gabe(::) BRONZE, Pepper Pike, Ohio

A growing issue that is popping up around the world is having limited clean water. According to the organization Unwater, over 85% of humans on Earth do not have a sustainable source of clean water to drink, bathe, and cook in. In case you can't put that number in mind, that is equivalent to about 783 million people.

Some people think that since over 70% of Earth is water, there is more than enough water for everyone, right? Well actually, only 3% of that water is freshwater which is mainly used for things like showers, flushing toilets, and drinkable water. Which means next time you want to take an hour long shower, maybe cut it down to about 15 minutes. Make sure you also remember to turn the faucet off when you're brushing your teeth or washing your hands. Every time you flush a toilet, over one gallon of water is being taken up.

If we do not start to cut on our water usage then our future generations might not have any drinkable water, wiping out not only all humans, but all living things on Earth. Together we can make a difference--we can end this problem, and finally we can bring freshwater to millions of children around the world.

I wrote this piece in order to convey readers to save water.