Canopies of Towering Trees | Teen Ink

Canopies of Towering Trees

By AutumnLeaf GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
AutumnLeaf GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Canopies of towering trees once began as two-inch, tender saplings. Faint rays of light break free of their grasp. A mixture of golden and orange waft through the cracks between each leaf. A tranquil brook lightly brushes against sun-baked rocks—rocks who survived through savage winds and terrifying torrents of water.

Microscopic droplets of dew drip down leaves, every second stretching to eternity. It stops. The delicate water splashes onto this miniature sapling. Light embraces the plant, steadily guiding it towards the size of its ancestors.

The vivid yellow and black of an oversized bumblebee pass through its line of sight. Miniscule particles of pollen cascade, creating a thin veil of dust too intricate to be seen. Painfully deafening steps of a mouse thunder past the plant, now in the protection of roots and undergrowth.

Twelve years pass during this exhilarating life, and the cycle repeats. This two-inch sapling became part of the canopy of towering trees, seeing generations of thriving plants—just like itself—grow and develop as part of nature’s beautiful way of life.