The Unknowns of Space | Teen Ink

The Unknowns of Space

By Knapsack12 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Knapsack12 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The unknown area of space inflates with billions of planets and stars ready to explore. Only four percent of space’s contents can be understood today by scientists. What we look at when we tilt our heads back and look into the sky is space. Space is an interesting topic, and one that became a running theme in movies, videogames, and TV shows.

We are intrigued by new discoveries about space, like new planets discovered, an official image of the milky way for example. One thing we find fascinating about space is how many people have made theories about what is beyond the Milky Way. It's crazy to think that despite how large we make the earth seem, it’s nothing like the size of space.

It’s remarkable that humans built the technology to fly through space, and construct independently operated telescopes to study the solar system. . Just goes to show how brilliant we are compared to other organisms on Earth. How far will those spacecrafts actually take us though? The price to go to Mars is in the ten billions of dollars. When will that limit be reached and space travel will start to decline?

Floating out in space alone with no interaction with nature isn’t a healthy and fun lifestyle. NASA reported about astronauts that went to the moon came back with psychological problems. They stood on the moon and peered back at our tiny planet and realized how insignificant life on earth is. Medical problems may develop during a trip in space. For example, an astronaut worked on the international space station and went blind because his tears we putting too much pressure on his eyes. Hundreds and thousands of new studies will have to take place to get a hold of the wonders of the unknown world surrounding our planet.