Picking up Trash | Teen Ink

Picking up Trash

March 5, 2009
By Anonymous

The world as we know it is a very troubling place. Between a troubling world economy, and an environment in turmoil the world needs help. People need to open their eyes and realize that the world isn't going to fix itself. I'm sure that we have all seen the trash sitting on the side of the road while driving down the highway. That needs to be fixed. That is littering, it is against the law, and bad for the environment.

People say 'How is it bad for the environment? It's just trash, it's not like it's hurting anybody.' Actually it is hurting somebody. Wind picks up that trash and moves it, sometimes it to the habitats of animals, if an animal eats the trash, or gets something stuck around it's neck, it could die. People don't understand that whatever we do affects the environment; it always has and always will. We need to stop ignoring the facts and face them, no matter how hard it may be. We need to clean up after ourselves, it's not just something that our mothers say to get us to clean up our rooms, we really need to get the trash off of the streets, not just because it will save the lives of more than a few animals, but because it will make the roads look better, cleaner.

Overall, I hate trash on the side of the roads, and I know animals do too.