The Dangers We Are Facing | Teen Ink

The Dangers We Are Facing

By dancequeen3y BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
dancequeen3y BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan

My concern for our environment is very strong. If we don't start taking care of our earth, the ice caps are just going to keep melting and the polar bears will keep dying. The ozone layer will keep depleting and we will all die of skin cancer. Then what? Is there going to be any humans left on earth in 200 years?

Global warming is causing the ice caps to melt, and we're causing global warming. We really need to learn how to take care of our planet. Global warming is caused by pollution, which comes from car exhaust, factories, and chemicals. Global warming has to do with the Earth and how it's temperature keeps increasing all around the world. It also causes natural disasters like hurricanes and droughts.

The temperature in Antarctica has to stay to a certain degree or the ice will start to melt. But since the temperature is rising there, the ice is melting. The polar bears live on the ice and since it is melting they have to swim. When they swim they soon get tired and drown and die.

The problem here is, what global warming is doing to them just might happen to us soon if we don't do something about it. Everybody just throws it to the side of there life thinking its no big deal and that nothing like that could ever happen. But no they are wrong.

Global warming and pollution cause the depleting of the ozone layer too. The pollution of factories, smoke, debris, and car exhaust is floating up to the ozone layer and breaking it down. There is a hole in right now, sure its not that big, but soon enough it will gradually get bigger. If we don't have an ozone layer we have barely nothing to protect our skin. The ozone layer helps to keep the suns harmful rays out. They let some rays in but not dangerous ones.

Soon enough though, when that hole in the ozone layer gets bigger, the suns rays are just going to pour in and we aren't going to be able to protect ourselves. We all know too much sun could possibly lead to skin cancer, which can most times be treated. But way too much sun exposure could lead to melanoma, a deadly type of skin cancer.

People are thinking to much ahead into the future and are forgetting about what's happening right now. Everyone wants the latest technology, but sometimes the latest technology isn't helping our earth, its making it worse. We need to start thinking more about now and coming up with ideas to stop heavy pollution and global warming. If we don't, then chances are some things might not be around in the next 200 years.

on Mar. 17 2009 at 9:47 pm
sk8er_girl BRONZE, Westland, Michigan
Nice article Ashley!