What Makes a Place a Special One? | Teen Ink

What Makes a Place a Special One?

February 26, 2009
By Daisy Zhang BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
Daisy Zhang BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are more than enough places for everyone to make their own, from a room in your house, to the middle of nowhere. But what makes a place a special one?

Perhaps it's because of how calm your place makes you. My favorite place is definitely at the ocean. As I sit on the beach in the Gulf of Mexico gathering sunlight, I would listen as the waves roll in, building higher and higher until WHOOSH! They crash down and ebb towards my toes. The sound of the waves soothes me, so when I close my eyes, I feel like I'm in my own little world, drifting back and forth in harmony with the waves. But is that all an ordinary place needs to fulfill in order to qualify as a special one? Isn't there more?

To me, my special place is fun. I love to throw a piece of bread in the air and laugh when a seagull catches it in its beak. Or when the birds surround me, screaming for more food. And don't forget diving on a wave as it comes toward you and getting a mouthful of salty water. But that's not the best thing. The best is getting to go swimming with dolphins in the never-ending deep water, in every lovely shade of blue you can imagine: turquoise, azure, navy, cerulean, indigo, and cobalt 'so pure, so clean.
Anything else about a favorite place? They may contain mysteries, too. The beach is full of exciting and sometimes lovely surprises. One of my favorite things to do is collect seashells of different shapes and sizes. Who knows? Maybe I'll find a sand dollar one day. Or, even shells that, when you raise them to your ear, you can hear the charming sounds of the ocean Or maybe be the first to discover mermaids.
Of course, not all favorite places have to fit into those groups. There can be many more explanations in addition to mine, or just simply for another reason. Whatever the case, by the big, vast ocean is no doubt the best place in the world for me.