Daytona Beach | Teen Ink

Daytona Beach

April 18, 2016
By DragonflyMaster PLATINUM, Kernersville, North Carolina
DragonflyMaster PLATINUM, Kernersville, North Carolina
46 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped. ~ African Proverb


You can watch as the gorgeous aquamarine water laps at your feet. The water is cool with a youthful manner as it jumps about. It cleanses the tan granules of sand from your feet, only having to redo its hard work when more sand covers your feet. The cry of white seagulls tainted by the black on their body and wing tips. The sea birds run along the coast like marathon runners. The area is littered sea shells. This is Daytona Beach.


The water seems to have a holy quality in which you want to bow down. The peaceful serenity as it hits the sand is like a clear bell. The water is natural. You bend closer to notice how the holes in which clams are hiding bubble as the water disappears. It seems to gasp for air until the water’s cover for protection. In the water, shells seem to be revealed as the water takes the sand away. The shells also seem to go out with the tide as the water steals them. The shells are no longer there. The water has no end. It goes about its life oblivious and tranquil, stealing shells rapidly.
 

The shells themselves are bright and multiple. The shells give the area a look as if people had littered it. The ocean is littering the coastline with these bright and numerous transgressors. You can hear the plunk as children pick the shells up to throw them down again. Many of the shells are broken and fractured by the waves. The shells seem to love to run with the water like two opponents in a race. The shells run toward the water and more shells appear. It seems the shells suddenly gain opponents rapidly. The shells are competitive and beautify the area with their competitions. You watch as a lively seagull steals one of these shells. 


The seagulls sound in the distance with a lively “caw, caw”. Their bodies seem pure only to be tainted by the black on their wings and belly. Many of these lively birds run along the coast daring many to chase them, only to taunt any taker with a bright “caw, caw, caw”. The birds many stop to look around and as if in a great hurry, take off with a flurry of wings. As they fly along the side these birds make graceful white v’s against the clear blue sky. The birds fly as they are heading towards the sun, a bright beacon in the blue sky.


The sun is a bright being in the sky. It screams of joy and a never-ending summer. The sun is in no hurry to go down, barely creeping lower in the sky. It is playful, casting a light so pure, that it makes the scene all the more joyful. It seems to smile without even trying. It must be the incarnate of happiness. The sun lightens the scene without trying. It puts a smile upon anyone with a damper. The sun is one part of this beach necessary for the happiness. The sand helps promote the suns even glow, acting as a mirror.


The sand is an unexpected pleasure. It has a soft texture of silk and massages your feet. It has a golden quality of gold thread. It flows with the water as the water steals some for its personal collection. You pick up the sand and watch it fall through your fingers gallantly. It seems unafraid of the fall coming soon. The sand has a dramatic effect on the scene. It contrasts with the water nicely and seems to be friendly with the water. The water and sand are some of the best of friends. You notice some children admiring the sand by building a sand castle with their childish giggle.


The children on the beach show the wonders of the beach. They admire the sand with a reverence. Building elegant castles and giggling as they spot a crab. The children run into the water, only to run out due to the slight chill. They launch into hysterical laughter, pushing each other into the water. They have high-pitched giggles and add to the clarity of the effect the beach has. The children’s youthful innocence has many meanings. It shows how lovely the beach is and how developed humans have become. A pang of sadness goes through you as you discover the children have found some beached jellyfish.


You walk closer to the sad scene of the beached jellyfish. These creatures used to have much vibrant colors but now are pale. The animals are in their graveyard. The tide had deposited the jellyfish here, where they will lay until the tides gathers them up again. The creatures once filled with life and now are just an empty house of tissue. The jellyfish have fallen in upon themselves like a popped balloon. The joy and wonder that once filled them is now gone. You look away from the jellyfish towards the sea and notice boats.


The boats you’ve seen are fishing boats. You know this by the long pole with most likely a net attached underwater. The scene fills you with anger. This beautiful area should be treated with reverence and respect. Instead, it’s being treated like a food supply! The area, this beautiful beach doesn’t deserve this. The boats have no rights to do this! You know what needs to happen and you know this area needs to be saved. As you walk from the beach you know what you want to do. You want to help preserve this beach.