Why We Need to Stop Fracking | Teen Ink

Why We Need to Stop Fracking

A very controversial topic in today's modern world is fracking. Hydraulic Fracturing or fracking is the process of pumping chemicals into the ground and it fractures a rock called shale which the release natural gas that they bring up to the surface. It is a very fast and cheap way of getting of of the ground. However fracking is terrible for the environment and can put harmful chemicals into the groundwater, use up millions upon millions of gallons of water and can be lethal for the environment and all living things, even humans. So we need to stop fracking because preventing the environment from being polluted is way more important than a fast way to get oil out of the ground. The first reason why we need to stop fracking is because of the amount of chemicals that fracking produces and wates.

Fracking can produce trillions of chemicals that can be deadly. According to, The Dangers of Fracking, fracking produces 360 deadly chemicals per frack. Some of the chemicals that are produced by fracking are chemicals such as, Lead, Uranium, Mercury, Radium and Methanol. These chemicals are all very dangerous and can pollute drinking water and when that gets into our body it can cause diseases such as cancer which is very deadly and can potentially kill a human. These chemicals may not kill a human but they can cause permanent damage to someone, these include, brain problems and respiratory problems. But not only is the chemicals bad for the environment they are also very bad for the drinking water.

According to, The Dangers of Fracking, When they use water for a frack, it take outs out 72 trillion gallons of water out of the water cycle. To put into comparison that is 1.1 quadrillion cups of water. The water after they fracking can not be reused or filtered. The water becomes useless because of all the chemicals that polluted the water. Also if the water gets out it can cause hundreds of chemicals to get into animals natural habitats and they can die. Also if that water gets into someone's private well, it can cause diseases such as cancer that can be lethal. When a well gets fracked it is wasting so much materials such as water is being wasted when it can be used for drinking. Also the most important reason why fracking is very bad is because it is very bad for the environment.

Fracking is known to have made sinkholes which can cause earthquakes. These earthquakes can cause tsunamis that can kill and ruin the environment. When they make a fracking site they most likely have to cut down trees which ruins the environment because the trees make air and are animals habitats. Also It ruins most of our drinking water and pollutes water that animals live in potential killing of a species. When we frack, a lot of the bad gas that it produces goes into the air causing air pollution, potentially destroying a lot of the ozone layer.

Fracking is a poison to our environment. It has the potential to harm humans and destroy our environment. It also can ruin water and can put it out of the water cycle. Fracking is a very fast and cheap way to get oil however it is not worth the destruction of the environment to get the oil. So therefore we need to stop fracking.

Fracking is a very hot topic intoday community. This is why it needs to stop.