Massacre of the Ocean | Teen Ink

Massacre of the Ocean

When asked whether or not Seaworld and all oceanic animal parks should still be kept in business I believe that Seaworld must be dissolved because it not right to hold animals such as whales and dolphins in captivity. On average, the ocean is about 14,ooo feet deep while a Seaworld tank is only about 52 feet deep. Not to mention that a tank is like a bathtub compared to a vast ocean.  According to National Geographic, an orca swims about 100 miles a day which would result in about swimming 1,208 times around the perimeter of the pool. I strongly feel that orcas need to be out in a non secluded area. A small tank may prevent the orcas from receiving their own daily exercise. In our world today, it is wrong to keep someone in a jail cell unless thy have committed a serious crime. Why should should it be fair to keep perfectly nurtured whales captive inside their own jail cell?

Only the mentally ill are locked inside daring asylums and are taught to accomplish inhumane ways of living. Why should this be allowed to be exactly done for the innocent daring whales at Seaworld? When asked whether Seaworld orcas should be kept in a solitary confinement , I strongly believe that whales should be let loose from the Seaworld cages. In the whale keeping facilities, there are many premature deaths between the sea life. According to the National Geographic, the average lifespan of a killer whale in the ocean lives to about 70 years. The whales are given an excess of nutrients and space to survive in the vast ocean. To top it all off, the ocean is the killer whale's’ natural habitat in which the whale species has become accustomed to. The minerals included in the deep waters allow for whales to maintain a stable homeostasis. In Seaworld, the average lifespan is a staggering 13 years of age. The orcas are fed off of frozen fish and live in an artificial saltwater condition. In conclusion, Seaworld should be corrupted because it’s shortening the valued life of the orca population.

Lastly, imagine being stuck in a confined space the size of a box. The space would not only be limited, but there is also little to do when passing the time. When asked whether or not Seaworld should keep killer whales for shows and training, I strongly believe that these special animals should be freed back in to their natural habitats. The orcas held in captivity are in a very tight, enclosed area. Just like humans, whales often have peers that they aren’t compatible with. If two whales don’t find each other enjoyable in the ocean, they are able to swim off in to different horizons, and most likely will never even have to ponder on each other again. At Seaworld, the whales must endure their fellow peers every single day. This can easily cause mutiny among one another. If a whale ever becomes convoluted in a fight,their instinct is to flee some miles away. Inside the deathening tanks at Seaworld, the space is finite, so the fights often lead to injuries or even deaths. According to the Orca Project, of the 23 living Orcas surviving at Seaworld in 2012, 12 have been injured due to fights. This is completely unacceptable because whale deserve to live a safe and prosperous life.

Seaworld should not be able to ordain such brave, powerful animals such as the orca. These animals dominate the ocean and humans should not interfere with such a majestic species. Just like humans, animals should be able to live freely within their own natural habitats.