Orcas Deserve More Than a Bathtub | Teen Ink

Orcas Deserve More Than a Bathtub

November 11, 2015
By NaomiScharf BRONZE, Sacramento, California
NaomiScharf BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

For centuries, humans have domesticated animals from dogs and cats to monkeys and pigs. These house pets can be accustomed to human interaction and have learned to tolerate living under the care of their owner. It is important for pets to develop a relationship with their caretakers even if it is just a relationship based on the provision of food and shelter. When gazing into their owner’s eyes, dogs release the oxytocin hormone: the same hormone released with the gaze between a human mother and her baby, and when we hug or kiss. Relationships between an animal and a human with such chemistry are acceptable forms of animal captivity. Animals of a more complex nature, who may never develop such a bond with their owner, do not deserve to be restricted a life of freedom. An animal such as the orca is a prime example of an intelligent creature that has been mistreated in captivity. Orcas in captivity know when they are being mistreated and can express feelings of depression for years. They develop many health problems and do not contribute enough to wild orca research to be justifiably imprisoned. The entertainment business benefits the most from their orcas. Confining an orca to unhealthy conditions for the purpose of entertainment should not be allowed.

The leading business in captive orcas has been the SeaWorld Entertainment marine park. For years, they have defended the safety of their animals by insisting that their orcas live as long as wild ones, or that collapsed dorsal fins are common in all orcas. The truth is wild male orcas can live as long as 50-60 years while orcas used for display in the United States live an average of 12 years. The “common” problem of dorsal fin collapse is not so common in the wild. According to the Center for Whale Research, while 100% of captive male orcas have collapsed dorsal fins this condition is common in only 1% of wild orcas. It is important to realize that a business such as SeaWorld gains the most from its orcas and will state facts to keep their orcas enslaved for monetary benefit. We should not feel comforted by their false statements and instead realize how their orcas are truly suffering.

Orcas suffer mentally and physically while in captivity. They are highly intelligent animals that have not adapted to our cruel conditions. They are constantly moved between orcas from different social groups who speak completely different languages; this causes them to become mentally damaged by frustration and anxiety. They will then gnaw at iron bars and walls from stress, developing an unhealthy habit and damaging their teeth. They are confined in tanks for the majority of their life that, to them, are the size of a bathtub. Not able to swim the 100 miles of an average wild orca, this limitation permanently damages their stamina and health. Orcas suffer mentally and physically to benefit businesses such as SeaWorld and that should not be tolerated.

When we think about most pets we have today we know they appreciate us from the way they treat us. Pets such as cats or dogs can be the happiest under the care of their owner. Orcas are animals that will only be the most satisfied with their own family in the wild. The way we exploit orcas for entertainment in marine parks is wrong and should never be allowed. We know that these orcas do not live as long as wild ones. We know that they suffer from many health conditions. We know how businesses such as SeaWorld benefit the most from their orcas, yet we continue to support them and other similar parks. We, an intelligent species, are not taking action to raise enough awareness of the mistreatment of captive orcas. It is time to realize the truth and start making smart decisions. Enslaved orcas are unfairly treated against their will. We need to stop supporting the enslavement of these creatures.