Today's World for a Dog is "Ruff" | Teen Ink

Today's World for a Dog is "Ruff"

By Kadia Simon BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
Kadia Simon BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

3.9 million. Imagine the house one could get with that amount of money. Imagine how many pennies that would be if they were dropped into a fountain. 3.9 million. Unfortunately, this number is not a positive one. 3.9 million. This number represents the amount of dogs that enter animal shelters nationwide each year according to the ASPCA.

Man’s best friend. Dogs were dubbed with this nickname ages ago as they time and time again proved to the human race that they were, in fact, man’s best friend. They’re about as loyal as an animal can get, caring and the best cuddle buddy. So why are there approximately 3.9 million without homes? Without food? Without clean water?

The answer is simple...sort of. Irresponsible people. That’s right, the human race is at fault. We overbreed, forget to spay and neuter and abandon our supposed best friends in their times of needs. There are many pressing issues with the world in which we live today. From global warming to war, everyone’s mind is focused elsewhere. This is understandable but more awareness need to be out there for the dogs. Spay and neuter, don’t get a dog if you aren’t 1000% positive you can handle one, don’t overbreed.

I believe more programs and awareness should be out there for dogs in need. They can’t speak up for themselves, and someone has to do it for them. More and more dogs are found on the streets everyday. Dogs are overcrowding the animal shelters, more and more being put down everyday because no one has adopted them. I volunteer at an animal shelter every week to help walk and play with the dogs. They’re all so sweet and each week when I see one isn’t there anymore I just pray that it got adopted and not the alternative.

For my bat mitzvah project, I collected money, dog food and dog toys to donate to the animal shelter. They were more than grateful and I even received a calendar with all their adoptable dogs on it weeks later as a thank you. Any little bit one can do for their local animal shelter, the better.

Adopt, adopt, adopt! Rescuing a pup not only gives them a second chance at life, but makes one feel great as well. There’s dogs of all types and sizes at the shelters, and there’s no doubt you’ll find one you’ll fall in love with. You’re not only rescuing the dog, but yourself as well.

All in all, awareness for the dogs in this world is crucial. There’s too many that are sick, abandoned, abused or injured to ignore this issue. 3.9 million. Remember this number and maybe in ten years it will be reduced. One can hope.

I've loved dogs for as long as I can remember and hope that people will really see how important they are and that we can't keep neglecting them!