Powering Tomorrow | Teen Ink

Powering Tomorrow

By noah lamb BRONZE, Morganfield, Kentucky
noah lamb BRONZE, Morganfield, Kentucky

Have you ever sat down and thought about your future? More importantly, the future of the generations behind you? Will they have the same freedoms as us? What will be the power source for the future, and only we can answer that. We hold the future in the palm of out hands, but the real question is what are we going to do with it?

My plan for powering tomorrow is through alternative sources rather than fuels, a renewable energy source that can be harvested and used for years to come. Many people have tons of ideas but they just are not all practical. It could be said that my ideas are not practical either but what’s there to fail? These ideas could persuade even the most hard headed, diesel burning, coal-rolling hillbilly into supporting my ideas of powering the future.

The ocean. A vast array of water and wonder that is arguably the most powerful force on the planet. Controlled by the moon, the tides move in and out, and have done this for millions of years, create tons of power just waiting to be harvested. Now, how can we harvest this driving energy? My plan is to place water turbines in key areas known for strong tides, and use it as a generator. To pivot and spin, being forced by the tides and generate electricity to power homes across the country. This proves to be a clean, renewable source for energy that we could rely on. It has yet to stop working, so why don’t we use it to our advantage?

Like I said before, the future is in our hands and it is our responsibility to make the world a better place for or children and their children. It is in our hands to let the world rot away, or thrive and prosper.