Water Crisis | Teen Ink

Water Crisis

October 6, 2014
By TARLANNAFISI BRONZE, Tehran, Other
TARLANNAFISI BRONZE, Tehran, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Many people see things as they are and say why ,I dreamed of things that never were and say why not....


Water is a vital and scarce essence of life which its protection demands due diligent and attention. During the centuries, access to pure water was a fundamental issue for the social, economical and environmental development of a country. Since it is noticeable that water is an unsubstituable commodity in the world, it is vital to think about its scarcity and purity. According to Human Development Report 2006, around 1.2 billion people live in areas of physical water scarcity and 1.6 billion people face water shortage. This problem is both a human-made and natural phenomenon and it is only caused by people as there is enough water for seven billion people in the world but unfortunately too much of it is wasted and mismanaged.                                                                              

     In today's world, over population and mismanagement in manipulation of water are the most two prominent reasons of water crisis. People are the main causes of this big problem by using water more than their needs in everyday life such as showering and watering the plants.  In industry section, over usage of power plants in producing electricity also causes scarcity of water. Moreover some industries and agriculture, degrade water and make it unusable. So water degradation is complementary cause of water crisis.    

                                                                                                             
   To prohibit water crisis around the world, everyone should learn the right way of using water. We can start by taking fifteen minutes instead of thirty minutes to shower and also teach this to our friends, family etc. There are more than one billion people who are facing shortage of water which is because of rapid population growth. This is something which the government has to take care of by adjusting ageing population instead of boosting childbearing through incentives and programs or by ending all policies that reward parents financially based on the number of children they have. This means increasing the taxes and other financial benefits for large families.        

                                         
There are also several ways of purifying degraded and waste waters from factories which can make them usable. These new techniques which is of course costly, make the water usable for different purposes ,for instance  even sea waters to be desalinated  and used  for drinking, pharmaceutical usages, nectar production and etc,….
The difficulty arises when you want to act economically wise and efficient. This issue, may demand Government and other related authorities to be united to adopt all policies of controlling water (increasing social awareness to use water, manipulating water desalination techniques, population control by adopting different policies,…)  altogether.


In summary ,if we want to overcome water crisis, instead of thinking about the ways to come up with the water needs of people which is an ever increasing demand  ,it is better to find ways to use water efficiently, as  wise manipulation can overcome scarcity(which is not really scarcity).    

               
According to "Lao Tz":  Nothing in the world is more flexible and yielding than water.