Global Warming and Us | Teen Ink

Global Warming and Us

By Raneem SILVER, Riyadh, Other
Raneem SILVER, Riyadh, Other
7 articles 1 photo 1 comment

We can see that the earth is getting warmer and warmer and it’s obvious in countries that encounter very hot temperatures in summer like Saudi Arabia. Some people thought that the increase in temperature was due to the extra heat generated by the sun, but speaking with evidence, researches were made on the amount of heat reaching the earth from the sun and it was found to be almost the same throughout the experiment, therefore, this rise in the earth’s temperature was not due to the sun. Global warming is life threatening to most people as well as wildlife, and it had many adverse effects on us as well as the earth. Scientists have recorded some while others are yet to be discovered. We all are aware that as the temperature rises, ice caps melt, which causes a rise in the sea and ocean levels as well as temperature, which affects the marine life. Ecologists say that an increase in temperature enhances the growth of phytoplankton (the sea green plant) and enhances the growth of zooplanktons, this has both positive and negative effects; as more phytoplankton grow, more carbon dioxide is absorbed by them and more oxygen is given out but on the other hand, as more zooplankton grow they graze on the phytoplankton which alters the ecosystem but it was said that this food chain can last successfully for about five years . Another impact of global warming is the unequal distribution of precipitation, some areas now experience floods and heavy rainfalls while others are less likely to have any rain fall.The reason behind this is that in dry, hot areas, more water vapors can be held in the air, thus theses areas experience heavier rainfalls. As a result of the combination of carbon dioxide and rain water, acidic rain forms, this harms the marine life as well as soil that becomes too acidic and unsuitable for planting as we know that a near to neutral soil is required to plant crops. For me, I want to produce a chemical substance that can be mixed with the fossil fuels to absorb the carbon dioxide so when they are burned these chemical substances as well as the carbon dioxide absorbed by them remain as waste particles or another idea is, when burning fossil fuels in a closed area, the chemical substance is sprayed all over the place so it combines with the carbon dioxide escaping from the fossil fuel and forming a non-pollutant waste product that can safely be allowed to escape into the atmosphere.

I am too worried about the global warming phenomena and it's impact on our health and the wildlife and I wish I can help contribute something to save us all.

Maryam Galal said...
on Jul. 29 2014 at 4:13 am
Wow! I totally agree with you. You got me worried and i think this is aserious issue that need much more attention for people's sake! P.s: You can make a great scientist xD