Not eating meat | Teen Ink

Not eating meat

By alyssabailey BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
alyssabailey BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Meat. Is it worth killing thousands of animals yearly when there are plenty of other foods to eat? While it may seem to some that animals are just food and don’t know what’s going on before they’re killed, it is actually true that animals experience fear, stress, etc. Because humans have ate animals for thousands of years they just assume it’s okay. Being vegetarian is a much healthier life style, and can prevent world hunger, it’s all been proven. Keep in mind being vegetarian means not eating poultry, red meat, chicken, any type of animal meat. Eating animals is inhumane; they have the same exact feelings as you do.

Preventing world hunger by becoming vegetarian is possible. “Over 10 pounds of plant protein are used to produce one pound of beef protein. If these grains were fed to humans instead of animals, more food would be available for the 925 million people in chronic hunger worldwide” found on procon.org. All this food being put into meat could be used to feed so many people, and could prevent lives of innocent humans from starving. It’s also proven by PETA that one acre of land will only provide 20 pounds of meat, that one acre could be used to grow 365 pounds of rich protein soybeans. While being vegetarian, and vegan you can save lives, even reducing the amount of meat you consume each year can help world hunger.
Being Vegetarian doesn’t mean you’re not eating right, and doesn’t mean you’re unhealthy what so ever. While being a vegetarian you get the same protein, B-12, Calcium, etc. Just as you would eating meat, but you get it by not slaughtering animals, and being cruel. Meat isn’t needed in your everyday life style; “meat is not an essential part of a healthy diet” says USDA and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. While being vegetarian you are strengthening your bones because you get more calcium then you would if you ate meat. Vegetarians are less likely to be obese, get certain types of cancer, high blood pressure, and diabetes. “A huge study of Seventh Day Adventists who ate little or no meat showed longevity increases of 7.28 years in men and 4.42 years in women.”
They say animals can’t feel anything, and that they were brought on earth just for our food. From procon.org “Scientific studies show that cattle, pigs, chickens, and all warm-blooded animals can experience stress, pain, and fear. In the United States about 35 million cows, 115 million pigs, and 9 billion birds are killed for food each year.” Does that seem humane? Animals have the same exact feelings as humans do, they shouldn’t be slaughtered when meat isn’t an actual need that humans have to have. It’s also proven that slaughter houses aren’t clean, sterilized, and the animals aren’t taken care of, they’re in terrible conditions. PETA, one of the largest animal rights organizations in the world, has exposed the cruel conditions of the Kosher Slaughterhouses. Cows were being tortured and weren’t killed instantly; they suffered for over three minutes in pain and trying to stand up while bleeding out. Animals shouldn’t be raised in confinement, “Pregnant pigs are kept in metal gestation crates barely bigger than they are.Baby cows raised for veal are tied up and confined in tiny stalls their entire short lives (3-18 weeks). Pigs have their tails cut off, chickens have their toenails and beaks clipped off, and cows have their horns removed and tails cut off with no painkillers” shown from the CAFO’s. (Concentrated animal feeding operations)
Ending world hunger, living longer, getting the same nutrition you need while saving lives by doing one simple thing, not eating meat. Your food is tortured before you eat it, when you eat meat, another person is starving. If all of us reduced our intake of meat, we could help others. All the facts that have been provided to show you that choosing vegetarianism is the right way to go, I can back that up myself. I’ve been vegetarian for nearly two years, I feel better about myself, I feel healthier, and knowing I’ve made an impact on not only other humans lives, but animals as well. You can try it out for yourself, why hurt animals that feel the way you do, the only difference between us and them, is we have choices in life, they don’t. They don’t deserve the cruel acts upon them, when their meat isn’t necessary for our health and everyday life style. Now that you know all that happens, what will you do? Make a change? Or make another animal suffer?