It's Getting Kind Of Hot In Here | Teen Ink

It's Getting Kind Of Hot In Here

February 13, 2014
By Julian Baxandall BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Julian Baxandall BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It certainly sounds quite nice and relaxing, but do we really want palm trees up here in New England? A little piña colada, a hammock on the Cape Cod beach. Swim trunks, some AC and 85 degrees in the winter? Yeah, I could probably get used to it. But the 120 degree summers...
It’s only in this past decade, and mainly after the Bush regime (George Bush’s reign of terror on the climate), that people have started to really think about the cause of global warming, or even acknowledged it as a problem. It is known that the changing in Earth’s climate can be natural, and many still think that it is. In fact, a survey conducted a couple years ago showed that a full 30% of Americans would not even concede that humans were a major cause of the rising of Earth’s temperatures. They say that there is no evidence, no proof that we are the ones devastating the world.

But there is overwhelming proof. Take a look at the smokestacks in New Jersey. The desolated mountain tops in West Virginia. The black, bleeding waters of the Gulf, and the hellish pits left within walking distance of small towns in Montana. Is that not proof?

Is the 78,367 lbs. of toxic mercury belched by US coal plants into the atmosphere not enough warning for us to quit before we are too far behind? Google Search Alberta tar sands if you are skeptical of what’s happening, right here. And then, take responsibility. Discover.
This cannot continue. It never should have started in the first place, but it did. Stop.

Or think of it this way. 634 million people live below three feet above sea level. The official scientific consensus is that the ocean will meet this three feet by 2100, but that estimate goes up every year. And some scientists say that it could reach up to 15 feet by that same date. Move.

You may ask why nothing huge is happening about this, and so did I. But then it hit me, as my parents were filling our gas tank on the ride to Cape Cod. This gas, this oil, it costs upwards of fifty, sixty bucks to fill the tank. Given the fact that over two hundred million people drive a car in the United States, that could be 100 million cars getting their tank filled every day. And at $50, that’s 5 billion dollars of revenue for the oil companies. Oil is one of the most lucrative commodities in the entire world, and those who deal in it are rich beyond compare. In 2013, the “Big Five” oil companies (BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ExxonMobil, and Shell) made an average of $175,000 a minute, or almost $3,000 every single second of every single day, 252 million a day, and $23 billion a quarter.

This is why these massive companies can afford to line the pockets of elected officials, with the offers of seats on their board of directors, billion+ dollar super PACS, funds with obscene amounts of money designed for attack ads and other propaganda in return for much unneeded tax breaks that cost the government billions. This is unacceptable.

Be an advocate for a clean earth, one devoid of corrupt franchises making massive profits off of everyone's world’s expense. Write, call, email, contact your representative. We, the people have the power to elect those who are honest and motivated for the greater good. Follow the lead of those such as Bill McKibban, Sheldon Whitehouse and more, founding, funding and building together. Tell your representatives that we must make the switch from dirty to clean and green, from oil, gas and coal to wind, solar, hydraulic and other renewable energy sources like solar, wind, hydraulic and nuclear. Act.

There is no time like now to save tomorrow. Take Responsibility. Now.


The author's comments:
We have the power of change, and we must use it to save OUR future, the future of us teens, and for generations after us.