Global Killing | Teen Ink

Global Killing

By Sam Peck BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Sam Peck BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Global Killing

Climate change.

The greenhouse effect.

Global warming.

It doesnt matter what you call it, it still has the same effects. You can call it any politically correct and sedative name you want, but it will still transform a number of islands into a modern day atlantis. You could call it “not-a-big-deal-at-all-warming,” yet it will still drive many polar species into extinction.
It should be called: DO-SOMETHING-ABOUT-THIS-NOW-OR-WE-WILL-ALL-DIE-INFERNOING!!!

That name is a bit long though, so I will use “global killing” for this editorial.
Global killing for threatening to kill a number of species.
Global killing for attempting to kill our way of life.
Global killing for trying to kill of the human race itself.

I wrote this editorial because it was needed. Global killing is the most pressing issue in the world so far. No matter what else is happening, if we don't do something about global killing we will all die fairly soon due to worldwide floods, food chain collapses, and a whole score of other disastrous effects. And yet for some unknown reason the media has decided to completely ignore the most pressing issue ever in existence. This may be just an editorial, but it is still something

Here are the facts. If this goes unchanged, within 50-100 years, every place on the world will have a much higher climate than the one we are currently living in. But how is this happening? The answer is carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is a gas produced by burning fossil fuels, which humans have been doing quite a lot of. In fact, 74% of global killing is human caused. Although, how much carbon are we actually putting out there?Just to give you a sense of the magnitude of the issue, I will tell you how much per second:
Two.
Million.
Pounds.
Carbon dioxide, a gas with the power to break a planet, is being released at a rate of two million pounds per second. Think about that. Around every hour, 7.5 billion pounds of carbon dioxide has been released into the atmosphere. If you’re wondering what this insane amount of carbon actually does, it works like this. First, the carbon and a few other harmful gases are released into the atmosphere. Then, the sunlight comes down and heats up the earth. The earth absorbs most of this energy, but some is reflected back into the atmosphere. In a earth without humans, the greenhouse gases naturally in the atmosphere would let most of the energy back into space, but keep some and the redistribute it back through the earth. But with all the extra carbon that is being put up there, hardly any rays are let back out, and then the carbon shoots them back down and kill the polar bears.

Get it?

However, I am not the only one who thinks this. Doctor Daniel A. Lashof, the director of the NRDC's climate and clean air program, has devoted his life to fighting global killing. He also has a blog, and posts often, trying to get people to believe in, and help, with global killing.

“Carbon emissions are making a new world, and not in a good way,” he has said in some of his posts addressing research into the exact dates at which the climate is supposed to go over the tipping point. That time is only around 50 years away, he says.
Another team of experts, James Hansen, a former top NASA scientist; Ken Caldeira, of the Carnegie Institution; Kerry Emanuel, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Tom Wigley, of the University of Adelaide in Australia, are also trying to raise awareness for global killing. They have sent letters to political and scientific leaders around the globe vying for alternate energy use, trying to be an example for people like you and me around the globe.

One last expert that I think you should hear from is Paul Mayewski, head of the climate change institute at the University of Maine. He has been travelling the world studying the effects of global killing for four years, and his results have been shocking. He has seen severe, abnormal lengthed droughts in Australia, and the temperature in the Arctic has risen 9 degrees in the last five years alone. That is an obscene amount faster than has ever been seen before. The usual rate should be- oh wait-THE EARTH SHOULD NOT BE HEATING UP AT ALL!!!

Even now, you can look around and see the affects of global killing, and you don't have to go to the North Pole to find it. If you live in somewhere like Massachusetts, a climate that has both warm summers and cold winters, like me, you may be noticing a change in the average temperature. My last few winters have been incredibly mild, to the point of going into mid-January, before the thermometer fell below 40.

This current year has been better, with temperatures as low as 9 degrees so far, but I am not allowing that to make me think nothing is happening, and nor should you. Maybe it seems normal this year, but what about the one after? And the one after that? you have to look at the bigger picture. If you think that global warming is a myth, and that the government is lying to scare us, I can see how you might think that. But just think about the science, you know how much carbon is going into the atmosphere, and if you don't believe that; just look at your nearest factory, see the billows of black smoke belching out? The signs are everywhere, all you have to do is look.

Think about what is happening now, due to global killing. Polar ice is melting at an alarming rate, and many of us, such as me, are going long winters without a sign of snow. Many warmer climates are starting to become downright scorching.

Think about what could be happening soon. The new children born into this world will not grow up with little polar bear toys, watching documentaries and squealing about how cute the cubs are. They will be a myth by then, a once proud but now forgotten species. Kids living in seasonal temperate climates will not have “snow days.” Those will be a story to hear from their grandparents sitting in front of the extra-powered air conditioning needed to keep life in the summer remotely survivable. Most of Africa has been evacuated due to 150 degree weather. The same is threatening to happen to Florida and other southern states. The poles have melted completely, and many coastal nations have been submerged.

This is not an exaggeration. If global killing keeps getting worse at the same rate that it currently is, most of this, if not all, will come true. Is that really the future we want to build for the upcoming generation? I hope not. We can and must do something about this.

The first thing you can do to fight against global killing is to donate to organizations who are devoted to stopping it. With your help, they will be able to slow, and possibly stop global killing much more effectively. But besides all that, if you want to take your fate into your own hands, then there is also a lot more you could do. You can drive less, be conservative with your heat, and try to use alternate energy, like solar power. I know that that sound rough, but it will save a huge amount of carbon from the atmosphere, as well as lowering your bill drastically.

If you remember Daniel Lashof, of the NRCD, from a few paragraphs ago,
his suggestion for what you can do: Tell your friends! Dan has been trying to get the whole population informed about global killing, like me. If we could get everybody to read this editorial, and start doing some of the suggestions above, we just might be able to turn this planet around.

Well?

What are you waiting for?