PETA: Help or Hinderance? | Teen Ink

PETA: Help or Hinderance?

December 9, 2013
By EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other
EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other
18 articles 6 photos 0 comments

Since the age of 10, I've not eaten meat or fish. That's Six years of the news perplexing all that I tell of the subject.Six years of my dietary choices being offered a reception that is rarely positive. And Six years of trying to fight my corner to all who say "oh my god are you some sort of like hippe?".

In my Religious Studies class we are learning about animal rights and the environment. My teacher used a advert from PETA as a starter to provoke our class. Naturally, those who cared (myself) were provoked whilst the rest of the class just said how environmentalists are blatantly 'bonkers'. And quite frankly, had my only knowledge on the subject been the poster I would feel inclined to agree with my peers. Due to the advert depicted a man starved and suffering during the holocaust and compared meat eaters to Nazis. I find this exaggeration unfair as it slanders the name of those who choose not to eat meat and therefore ruins the point they're trying to make whilst being insensitive.

PETA has a purpose; that is inform and educate people upon the subject of animal cruelty. I agree with their argument to such an extent that their tactics of preaching it upset me slightly.

Therefore I prepose a question to you- the reader; how can we fight for animals when our main mouthpiece is not going about it in a politically correct, or clever way. I make one final request for you -image that your best friend is that lamb, or you're brother or mother or cousin. Are lamb chops still on the menu for dinner?