Wind Turbines (Wind Energy) | Teen Ink

Wind Turbines (Wind Energy)

Wind Turbines are highly engineered and a great way for a source of energy, but of course there are some shortfalls. Here are a few facts about Turbines and how their highly engineered. Along with how their power in making energy is amazing and the shortfalls they have.

Wind turbines are highly engineered. Turbines are basically made up of a tall tower with blade like wings. They consist of a large, 3 blade router and an electric generator at the top of a tall tower. The electric generator is powered by a controlled motor so the blades always turn ‘in wind’. The typical size of a Wind Turbine is 89 to 147 feet long (the blades) and a mounted tower 147 to 344 feet tall. Old fashioned wind turbines are still being used and have been for over a cenutry. The most popular wind turbine produces, on average, 1.5 megawatts of electricity. That's enough to provide electricity for over 400 homes! “Texas is actually the leader in installed wind capacity, which is more than twice as much as any other state!”
Al Gore page 9
As you can see, wind turbines are highly engineered and help us a lot in our daily lives.

Wind turbines are a great source of energy. Wind turbines make no noise when put out in oceans, bays, and sea’s. In the United States wind turbines produce enough energy to power 1 million homes! In 2002 one of the worlds largest off-sea wind energy farms provided electricity for 150,000 homes! There are big advantages to building turbines off shore:
80 turbines don’t take up a lot of place, and theres no complaints about the noise wind turbines make when they spin. Today 4% of Denmark's electricity comes from Wind Energy. (Power)
“The worlds largest off-shore wind turbine is located in the North Sea, 9 miles from the coast of Denmark, in Horans Reef.”
Jeffries page 14
Wind turbines are very useful and can be used in our daily lives.

Nothing is absolutely perfect, so of course there are shortfalls to Wind energy. Wind Turbines can only be put in windy place, or there won’t be enough energy produced as needed. Sometimes, when Turbines are put out on farms or near homes, people say there very noise and most often ruin the view. Wind turbines can only be placed in the middle of the United States due to the fact that it’s only place where the TWH demand is met. If the TWH demand is not met, there will be not enough energy supplied to produce enough energy. Not everything is made without doing some kind of damage to the environment, so naturally when Wind turbines are made some pollution is produced therefore wind power does produce some pollution. “Electricity can be produced only when the wind is blowing sufficiently to turn the blades of the windmill. If the wind stops blowing, the wind mill stops generating electricity.”
Al Gore page 14

As you can see Wind energy isn’t the best source of energy but it’s certainly a good one! So basically wind energy is a good source of energy, and it’s a nice way of producing energy. This information is important because this tells you all about Wind energy and Wind Turbines. That way if you live on a farm or in a windy area you can have a wind turbine of your own.
If you’d like wind energy as you new source of energy you should build a wind turbine! Just one turbine can easily power 150,000 homes!

Another essay for science.