Living In Filth | Teen Ink

Living In Filth

By JOSHMISH BRONZE, Miami, Florida
JOSHMISH BRONZE, Miami, Florida

The environment is an important topic that is overlooked by many people. That
needs to change. The fact that it gets overlooked is very disappointing, because we need to change our
ways of life to enrich our planet and regain its original health.

Plastics, paper, and glasses should all be recycled! Recycling is the process of collecting and
processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into
new products. Recycling can benefit the community and the environment.

Studies show that show thirty four point one percent of what we throw away is recycled. Eleven
point seven percent of it is combusted for energy, and fifty four percent of it is land filled. That 54% may
be something's that could be recycled or composted for some kind of soil.

The pollution around the world is extreme. In some countries people live in landfills. India is an
example. There are kids growing up in New Delhi’s 70-acre Ghazipur landfill, a post-apocalyptic world
where hundreds of pickers climb a 100-foot-high trash pile daily, dodging and occasionally dying
beneath belching bulldozers that reshape the putrid landscape.

It is very sad. God gave us this land to take care of. Genesis 1:26 reads, "Then God said, 'Let us
make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in
the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the
ground.' ”