Undeserved | Teen Ink

Undeserved

By MissSunshine SILVER, Walnut Creek, California
MissSunshine SILVER, Walnut Creek, California

Nestled in his mother’s cozy striped orange and black fur, the infant tiger cub is born, barely increasing the pathetic population of tiger species. Due to the very few numbers of tigers, this meat-eating mammal could not find a single female tiger. Mustering up his last drop of hope, Broken-Tail the tiger wandered through India for 200 kilometers, hoping to find a mate. On the way, only a scarce amount of food to eat and water to drink was available. Tired and helpless the young tiger crossed a train track. Coincidentally, a train was crossing at the very same moment. Humans found the lifeless orange and black striped carcass on the side of the tracks three weeks later. Whether death comes from the effects of a man’s greed, pollution, or arrogance, animals are quickly disappearing. We need to save endangered species, and consider them as a part of this world, before it’s too late.

It wasn’t the carnivore’s fault to wander so far. It was his natural instinct. Hunting, killing, and poaching happens frequently with animals worldwide. Hundreds of thousands of elephants have been slaughtered by covetous men. Out of the whole body of the elephant, only the ivory tusks are removed. The rest of the body is left to rot. Compared to harmless animals, humans are cruel, ignorant killers. We may have dominant power over all the species on earth, but does that mean we have to completely forget and be disrespectful of our fellow creatures?

Without a doubt, pollution is a big issue in preserving animal species. Humans are the only species on earth that get to own and buy land. Think about where you live, the ground was cleared; the trees were burnt, and any animal shelters were wiped out before you moved in. Factories and toxic waste dumps have been planted on top of habitats. For example, a factory was built near a birds breeding area. Unaware of how the pollution could damage her hatchlings, the momma bird laid three eggs. When the eggs hatched, the chicks were malformed and could not breathe. One by one, on that same day each youngster died.

Now some people may ask, “Nothing will happen if only a couple species become extinct, we will still have the majority left, right?” The truth is, a large proportion of the species of animals contain bacteria and nutrients, which can be cures for numerous diseases. Do you know anyone with AIDS or cancer? Six million people are affected by AIDS and twelve million are affected by cancer. Animals could play a large role in the cures we have for these diseases In addition, without animals there would not be insulin for diabetes, antibiotics for infections, or vaccines to prevent diseases.

What is holding humans back from saving these animals? Some believe that it is against the natural order to save animals that are becoming extinct. Governments around the world do not want to spend on money preventing the extinction of creatures. Furthermore, the governments feel it is more important to invest in avoiding human tragedies than saving other creatures. When natural disasters occur, like the Japanese earthquake, people all over the world give donations, which save the humans, not the animals. Countries realize this, but a very small amount of money is raised for animal rescue. These days, especially in America, millions of dollars are invested for cancer research and other diseases. Unfortunately, endangered species are not on the top priority list.

There are a number of ways you can relieve these disastrous consequences. For example, families can provide bird feeders in their garden to attract birds, or you can plant flowers to give bees and butterflies their sustenance. Furthermore, plant trees around your neighborhood to create shelters and places for nests. Another option is donating money to animals in need by contributing to the World Wildlife Fund. If the world comes together to help we will have a better chance of keeping the charms of earth alive. As an expert on endangered species quoted, “It is our responsibility to protect them, both for their sakes and our own.”