The Problems Facing Us Because of Environmental Issues | Teen Ink

The Problems Facing Us Because of Environmental Issues

February 13, 2013
By Ezequiel Rosa BRONZE, Waterford,, Pennsylvania
Ezequiel Rosa BRONZE, Waterford,, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Five hundred species in North America have disappeared since the year 1600. The passenger pigeon, the blue pike, and the dusky seaside sparrow are extinct out of that 500. Extinction of an animal means that it no longer exists. There are several reasons why a species becomes extinct. People must learn that animals are being listed as endangered because people are illegally hunting them, destroying their habitats, and polluting where they live.

People must learn that animals are becoming endangered because of people illegally hunting them. Some people don’t care about illegally hunting animals because as long as they get money for the furs, horns, skins, and other body parts, they’re happy. Some of the animals that are endangered are endangered because of their valuable horns, furs, feathers, etc. (“Road”).There are many animals that are endangered now like the Shortnose Sturgeon and the Nashville Crayfish because of too much fishing (“Endangered”). Poachers have contributed greatly to endangered species and some animals’ extinction because of them being taken, for example, to be used as exotic pets (“Road”). Hunting animals illegally is becoming a problem, but habitats are also being destroyed.

People must learn that animals are becoming endangered because habitat destruction is a big threat to animals as well, from cutting down trees, loss of forests, and invading species. Destruction of animals’ habitats is not a big deal for many people because they don’t think of the possible outcomes and they are satisfied if they get what they want and need. Companies and people are cutting down forests of trees for growing populations so that people can have more houses, farmland, etc. (“Road”). Animals use forests for protection, shelter, and food and they are losing all of this (“Endangered”). Animals are dying off and becoming endangered because of these actions when new buildings are taking their homes (“Endangered”). More and more habitats are being destroyed and pollution is getting worse along with these other problems that are affecting endangered species.

People must learn that pollution is another big issue that determines if a species of animals becomes endangered, like from pesticides, plastic, and gasses. Everything is fine with humans polluting the earth if they are healthy and doing well. When people dump wastes and pollute with other things that are unwanted, people are glad to get rid of it. Pesticides and other chemicals can poison plants and animals if they’re not used correctly (“Endangered”). The bald eagle was harmed by a pesticide used by farmers called DDT (“Endangered”). This pesticide was washed away by rain into lakes and streams where fish got poisoned (“Endangered”). The bald eagle would eat these fish and their eggs would end up getting crushed because the shell was too thin (“Endangered”). There is also so much plastic and garbage in oceans and lakes that pollute the water which kills many different fish until they become endangered (Ward). Gases released from car emissions are helping to cause global warming and this contributes to the polar ice caps breaking earlier and more often each year which is killing polar bears (Ward). Pollution is a problem all over the world today for many animals, but some people think pollution is not a big problem.

Animals are being listed as endangered because people are illegally hunting them, destroying their habitats, and polluting where they live. If people don’t care about illegally hunting animals as long as they get money for the furs, horns, skins, and other body parts, more animals will become extinct. To help this ongoing problem, more stationed patrols should be set up. Weather proof surveillance cameras could be set up throughout different countries’ hotspots known for poaching. If people don’t care about destruction of animals’ habitats because they don’t think of the possible outcomes and they are satisfied if they get what they want and need, then they are going to be confronted with the destruction of species. The number of children that a couple has could be limited so that the need to expand and build more gets diminished. When people dump wastes and pollute with other things that are unwanted, people are glad to get rid of it. The wastes should be recycled or disposed of in the least harmful way possible, like DDT taken to a toxic waste dump instead of dumped on the soil where it can run off into the watershed. Endangering animals is as terrible as taking Starry Night by Van Gogh and slashing it with a knife. People must change their ways with hurting the environment and help save species instead of endangering them.


The author's comments:
People all over the world need to realize how much we are destroying the earth and really leaving a "footprint."