Sustainability from my perspective | Teen Ink

Sustainability from my perspective

By treemary BRONZE, Valencia, Other
treemary BRONZE, Valencia, Other

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today" Malcolm X

There is something that has guided my life since I was a little child and has made me become the person who I am now. That thing is everywhere we see and in everything we do. It is our planet. My parents taught me we have to take care of the place where we live, but I could not understand that statement as well as I do now.

These last years I have had the opportunity to involve myself in this stuff. Now I know that sustainability, for example, exists. If we try to understand the huge importance of this term in our life, we could know that we have to apply it to everything we do. Sustainability is a balance between the elements of our environment, but not only the nature world, it includes two other principal elements, which are our society and its economy.

Some people are working in order to have a sustainable world, but we are not going to be able to reach that goal until our society understands that we are the key. We are the key to have an economy based on systems that do not affect our environment, so we can create the balance.
Starting from the idea of our society as the pillar of every element in our world, I realize that a great education is the solution for our problems. The young people are the generation of our future and the fact that they have poor knowledge about the importance of our environment tell us that we are training people uncommitted to it.

We know that, in this human growth stage, children are building their own criterion, which will define them as individuals in the future. This is a stage where they are very influenceable and therefore, they are learning new things every single moment by looking at older people behavior and copying attitudes that they think are the best. For that reason, if we make young people gain interest in the Earth’s protection and adopt it to form their criterion, we could have a society in our future conformed by people that take care of their environment, applying it to every job or occupation they have. The most important thing is they would pass on that knowledge to the next generation, so we will assure a better future.

I would to get people interested in our planet's protection; but specially get young people involved in this stuff!