Babies by Country | Teen Ink

Babies by Country

By Bailey Dickinson BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
Bailey Dickinson BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia

A country’s success is partially determined by its total fertility rate (TFR). The lower a country’s TFR is, the most successful it generally proves to be: most developing nations have much higher TFRs than that of developed. But why is this the case? A developing country, the USA for example, has a TFR of 2.1 while the TFR of a developing nation, such as Kenya, is 4.72 births per woman. This is due to the fact that the citizens of America have easier access to education and contraceptives. More citizens in the USA understand the importance of raising a family that they can afford than Kenyans. The USA, and developed countries in general, need to educate and provide for the struggling countries in our world. Those in developed countries need to be provided with contraceptives and family planning lessons. Many of these developing countries are negatively contributing the Earth’s growing population and someone needs to intervene.

This issue really stands out to me. Why aren't we helping other countries that don't understand the importance of family planning?