Burn, Consume, Destroy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Whoa,” we exclaim in unison, staring intently out the car window as ominous clouds of black and gray swirl to the sky.

“Cool,” my brother says.

“Pretty,” whispers my sister.

“Terrifying,” I breathe silently.

The blood-red sun, draped in a veil of thick smoke, sinks further beneath the burning mountains. Everything in my vision, on the left side of our car, is aflame. Orange and red work fiercely, destroying everything in its path.

“Burn,” the fire seems to say, “Burn and consume. Consume it all,” as it grows even hungrier with a literal burning desire to destroy.

On my right, the world goes on as usual. The sky is clear blue, and the only clouds are fluffy and white, like cotton balls. Several cows loiter in a yellow-brown field, chewing dead grass nonchalantly. They show no sign of witnessing the a horrifying event. Birds chirp happily in their nests, insects buzz along, all unaware of the raging monster chanting, “Burn. Consume. Burn. Destroy.”

The scene still haunts me. How can the rest of the world be so ignorant of this tragedy, of the houses destroyed, the homes abandoned, the beauty of nature reduced to ashes, the courageous men and women fighting the flames so valiantly? Or, more importantly, the lives that have been lost?

Maybe things won't change. But even if most remain unconcerned about the wildfires burning up our country, I am one person who has been affected by three whispered words: Burn, Consume, Destroy.

In_Love_with_Writing said...
I liked it a lot. Can you comment and rate some of my work?

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I live in Utah, and this is such a true article. Most of the state was on fire last summer. Wildfires are awe-inspiring and sometimes beautiful, but they can also be terrifying. Out of curiosity, which fire is this based on? Where was it?

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It liked this.  I know what it is like to watch a fire at in it's rage so I could really relate to your writing.