Pandas | Teen Ink

Pandas

By MJReyes BRONZE, New Brunswick, New Jersey
MJReyes BRONZE, New Brunswick, New Jersey

As you may know pandas are in danger to extinct from Earth. One of the main reasons for this to happen is the fact that humans are destroying pandas’ main habitats. If we don’t do anything about it, in a couple of years pandas could disappeared forever. Let me tell you about pandas and perhaps you will feel as interested as I am to help save them.

Pandas are found in six isolated forest areas in Sichuan,Gansu, and Shaanxi provinces in China. Pandas live in high mountainous areas, usually from 2,700 to 3,700 meters (8,500 to 11,500 feet) above sea level, that have natural forested areas with fir, spruce, and bamboo.

Today, only 29 small, fragmented areas have the appropriate habitat to support the world’s existing panda populations. Pandas are about the size of the American black bear. An adult panda is typically 1.5 meters long ( 4-5 feet) and weighs about 75 to 135 kilograms ( 165 to 353 pounds). Males are 10% to 20% heavier than females. Pandas live between 18 to 25 years in the wild.

Pandas are in the carnivore family and, for the most part,have the digestive system of a carnivore. However pandas have adapted to an almost vegetarian diet. Although, 95% to 99% of the panda's diet is bamboo, they also eat flowers, vines, mushrooms, grass, fish, and small rodents/ Pandas only digest 20% of what they eat while casttle digest 60%. Pandas consume 33 to 66 pounds of food per day. They eat for 10 to 16 hours per day and cover one kilometer a day while eating. Pandas excrete up to 88 pounds per day. They drink water once a day.

Pandas are about the size of a American black bear. An adult panda is typically 1.5 meters long (4-5 feet). A female pandas weighs around 180 pounds (100 kg). They at for 10 to 16 hours per day and cover over one kilometer a day while eating. When they are not eating they are sleeping, proving that they are not dangerous animals.

Friends, now you know a little more about pandas, we can all contribute something either with the organization that help support the zoos and also have space for these beautiful animal to live in harmony. We cannot just sit and wait for these species to disappear from the face of the Earth.

sallymae said...
on Sep. 30 2016 at 4:07 pm
i like this nice job