A Letter | Teen Ink

A Letter MAG

By Anonymous

   I'd like to just relay a quick message to everyone that I am also trying to spread in my school: recycle your paper. I know that there are messages everywhere that we need to save our ecosystem, but I can't just sit here when I still see people tossing out papers and documents that are inches thick.

People don't realize how easy it is to stop wasting so much paper, so they continue to abuse their wastepaper baskets scandalously. They say things like "Oh, but it's such a pain" or "I'm too busy to think about it all the time" and dismiss the subject just like that. How difficult can it be to use half (or even a quarter) sized papers for memos? I see memos written to students on whole sheets of paper all the time. What about teachers? Is it that difficult to use both sides of a paper to make mimeographed copies? Can't an essay question that doesn't completely fit on the last page of a test be written on the board? Also, is there such a big problem with tomorrow's homework being done on the back of tonight's?

And what about students? Can't you buy one plastic cover to be reused on all your term papers? All you have to do with the old paper is store it in a binder if you want to keep it.

What about our town government? My town has just begun a recycling service to be performed when trash is collected. I know that other towns also have this kind of service, but it would be nice if a lot more towns had it, too.

There are a lot more ways to stop wasting paper, but the more I list, the more paper I waste. But minimizing the amount of paper we waste is only one of the ways to help save our ecosystem, and look how much you can do. So, please, help out a bit to save our environment.

Thanks.