No More Plastic | Teen Ink

No More Plastic

By sv_praveen_trichy GOLD, Parowan, Utah
sv_praveen_trichy GOLD, Parowan, Utah

On the other day, I watched a man in white coat coming out of the grocery shop. Nothing was uncommon with him except the bag he was holding in his hand. It was in the south of California where using of plastic bags are prohibited, But what does the law counts when it was not accepted by public.

Latest reports say that, nearly five-trillion plastic bags are produced per year all over the world and approximately more than 380 billion plastic bags are used in the United States of America alone. The sad thing is only less than 2% of the plastic bags are sending for recycling. Over using of plastic will leads to cyclic harmful effects on the environment.

Another report states that, over 46,000 pieces of plastic litter are floating in every square mile of ocean. The marine animals mistaken the plastic litter as food. After feeding plastic, It leads them to have painful death. Even it affects the species that are in the verge of extinction including turtles and penguins. A group of scientist conducted research recently and old that Polythene which has the molecular formula of (C2H4)n H2, when reacted with water (H2O) may lead to production of substance that is toxic to small marine organisms.

Not only for marine animals, but it brings harmful effects to the environment. The notable thing about plastic is they are amorphous solids and scientists are saying that it will take down 500 years to 1000 years for a plastic to break down in the environment.

It is impossible for us to lead our life happily without the use of petroleum. The petroleum is a nonrenewable source and is decreasing day-by-day. The cost of petroleum became bad as the oil in the Arab nations become decreased. It will take approximately from 60-100 million barrels of oil are needed to produce the plastic bags. Since the oil is necessary for industries, we should have to stop using oil for production of plastic bags.

In many parts of the world, the using of plastic bags is prohibited, but is not taken effectively. Since the plastic bags are cheap, the shop keepers are using that till now, but unless the people change themselves, it is difficult to prohibit the use of plastic.

The first step, we have to do is to limit our use of plastic bags and plastic bottles. While visiting beaches, one should not have to throw the plastic bottles in to the sea.

Instead of passing law to prohibit the use of plastic, government should have to stop producing plastic in industries. The government should have to collect all the polythene bags are should have to re-cycle it. They should have to use recycled plastic to lay roads. Plastic roads are not so expensive. It will melt on summer and will become thick in winter.
Plastic roads can remain good for a long time. Plastic roads will also help us to save oil.

We should have to teach in schools about the harmful effects of plastic. The teenagers should have to join in organizations like Green peace to know more about the importance of banning plastic. To create a better environment tomorrow, we should have to act today.

.