Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

By puffnaynay6 BRONZE, Williamport, Pennsylvania
puffnaynay6 BRONZE, Williamport, Pennsylvania

What good is all this cash if it doesn't buy time? And what good is being famous if I'm never on your mind? - Drake

Whether people think it’s a serious topic or just a myth, scientists and people all over the world know about global warming. Even if you think that global warming is just a hoax you should learn some facts about what is happening to our planet.
Natural forces caused the changes in climate but since the late twentieth century it has been caused and influenced by human activity. Gases, carbon dioxide, and fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gases contribute to global warming. When you burn fossil fuels, they release carbon dioxide, which is the main natural gas, which makes it easier for the greenhouse effect to take place.

Water vapor, certain gases, and particles in the atmosphere prevent the sun’s energy from escaping by absorbing some of the heat; which is similar to they way glass traps heat inside a greenhouse keeping it warm. That’s why the action of the gases in the atmosphere is called the greenhouse effect. Natural greenhouse Whether people think it’s a serious topic or just a myth, scientists and people all over the world know about global warming. Even if you think that global warming is just a hoax you should learn some facts about what is happening to our planet.

Water vapor, certain gases, and particles in the atmosphere prevent the sun’s energy from escaping by absorbing some of the heat; which is similar to they way glass traps heat inside a greenhouse keeping it warm. That’s why the action of the gases in the atmosphere is called the greenhouse effect. Natural greenhouse effect makes a huge difference in the temperature of the planet; without it the temperature would be 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Main greenhouse gases are carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone, water vapor, halocarbons, and sulphur hexafluoride. The most important greenhouse gas is carbon dioxide; scientists estimate that is has caused 70% of the increased greenhouse effect. “The longer we delay, the more CO2 (carbon dioxide) will build up in the atmosphere. It stays there a long time. If we wait too long before acting, we will pass a point of no return and lock ourselves into centuries of global warming. We could pass one of those dangerous tipping points that could make life very difficult. It's a risk we shouldn't take.” (Dipeso, speech).

More than two – thirds of the Atlantic Ocean is frozen all -year round, but, since 1980, it is getting smaller by 9% per decade. The ice is 164 feet thick at places, but has thinned 15% to 40% since mid 1970.The Albedo effect refers to a surface’s power to reflect light. Since ice and snow is white they reflect 90% of sunlight that falls on it. Compared to 45% on sandy deserts, 20% on green fields, and only 3.5% on oceans. As the ice melts it turns to water, the water then produces more heat, which melts more ice at the edge, and when more sea is exposed it just repeats over and over. It builds up over periods of years and is impossible to stop.
Global warming can cause more people to become ill or even die from the heat. Scientists believe that climate change kills 160,000 people per year and could double by 2020. In the summer of 2003in Europe a heat wave swept over and took 35,000 lives. Earlier that year, in India, temperatures hit 120 degrees Fahrenheit and killed over 16,00 people. Heat waves claim more lives each year than floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. More human related problems include world foodThe Albedo effect refers to a surface’s power to reflect light. Since ice and snow is white they reflect 90% of sunlight that falls on it. Compared to 45% on sandy deserts, 20% on green fields, and only 3.5% on oceans. As the ice melts it turns to water, the water then produces more heat, which melts more ice at the edge, and when more sea is exposed it just repeats over and over. It builds up over periods of years and is impossible to stop.
Global warming can cause more people to become ill or even die from the heat. Scientists believe that climate change kills 160,000 people per year and could double by 2020. In the summer of 2003in Europe a heat wave swept over and took 35,000 lives. Earlier that year, in India, temperatures hit 120 degrees Fahrenheit and killed over 16,00 people. Heat waves claim more lives each year than floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes. More human related problems include world foodsupply, increased spread of disease, climate studies, and the future water problems and shrinking lakes.

Since 1980, climate effect in the Pacific Ocean has become more severe and frequent. The most famous effect is El Niño. El Niño happens when the normal easterly trade winds weaken or reverse direction. This causes the upper layer of warm water in the Western Pacific to flow eastward toward the northern part of South America. This causes increased rainfall and storms along the west coast of North and South America. El Niño also causes droughts in Australia and Indonesia. Ocean currents, deserts, and droughts are also affected by global warming.
Global warming is a topic that everyone should be aware of, even though many people don’t think that global warming is a real cause, there is proof that it is really happening; and we should all take notice and take a stand before it’s too late.