No Postage Necessary If Mailed In The United States This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Junk mail, isn't it just so much fun? Free, but only on the third Tuesday of August. Yeah, right. All of it piles up and if you were to save all that junk mail, it would pile up to be about one and half trees every year. About one and a half trees every year to every resident in the country and that piles up to be about 100 million trees every year.

On average, Americans receive almost 200 tons of junk mail every year and 44% is never opened or read. The average American spends eight months of their life opening junk mail. The junk mail this country receives every day could heat over 200,000 homes. If only 100 people stopped their junk mail, they could save about 150 trees every year. Just think, if 1,000,000 people did, it would save 1.5 million trees annually.

Ask at your local post office to find a way to stop your junk mail, and if you can't, recycle it. Oh, and guess what, envelopes are recyclable too as long as they don't have windows. ^

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm:
Very well written article! thumbs up