Animal Cruelty... Is It Necessary? | Teen Ink

Animal Cruelty... Is It Necessary? MAG

By Anonymous

   Is it necessary for farmers to mistreat their animals in order to make a profit? Is it necessary to keep animals in confined areas and nourish them with low-iron diets in order to produce tender meat? I strongly believe that this is neither humane nor necessary. To raise animals in a free environment in order to help feed society is one matter, but to raise animals in a cruel environment just to satisfy your taste buds and become wealthy is inhumane.

What happened to chicken coops where a bird could roam free in a flock? Now, chicken farms feature tiny cages where the chickens are unable to move around. In both instances, they are able to produce the same product. Why cages? Cages are easier. The farmer does not need to hire help to assist with their care because all the chickens are in a confined area. Easier for whom? The chicken or the farmer?

What can we, as sensible Americans, do about this cruelty? We can begin by becoming vegetarians, but this is unrealistic because the vast majority of the population would not do this, although it would send a strong message to factory farmers. The most sensible action would be to become involved with groups like the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals {PETA) or the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA). The MSPCA is not a vegetarian organization, but they do believe that if you are going to eat meat, the animals should he humanely kept.

If you are disgusted by inhumane treatment, you are not alone. There are 10 million other Americans that agree with you. Over the past 20 years the number of members in animal advocacy organizations has grown by eight million. The mistreatment of animals thus appears to be a great concern among Americans, but without the help of everyone, little can be accomplished. For the sake of these animals, please get involved. ^