The Great Escape This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Stress is an everyday part of my vocabulary. Each day I struggle to keep calm in the midst of a hectic schedule. Most often the only thing that helps me to clear my mind is to go for a long run through the woods.

My favorite spot is an area close to my school in Hingham. I can jog down to these quiet, secluded woods in a matter of minutes. This forest is what I consider "my medicine for the soul." There is no other place where I can find such peace, tranquility and beauty. These woods are a place where I can escape from the noise, traffic and chaos of civilization.

Immediately when I arrive, I am overwhelmed by an incomparable feeling of harmony with nature. I feel incapable of being touched by the evils that inhabit this world. I enter the trails, breathe in the crisp, fresh air and look around me. I observe the grass, bushes and plants that to me are a definition of true beauty. I notice the bright sunlight filtering into my world through the majestic treetops. I listen to the only sound for miles - the sonorous singing of birds all around.

During my run, I have a sense of freedom. I travel through the woods, sometimes exploring the untrodden paths and uncharted territory. I contemplate life, the future and God. I think about what I have done, what I am doing and where I am going. The isolated woods are one of the few places where I can think about these things with a clear head. Everywhere else I feel pressure all around me coming from every direction. Amidst the serenity of nature I simply allow my mind to wander at will.

My woods are a place where nothing can bother me. They are my great escape. I come out of this nature wonderland refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to conquer the world. ^