Saving the Environment One Home at a Time This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Pollution can be seennot only throughout the world, but also in our own homes. It comes from householdchemicals, the amount of water people use and the waste people produce and throwaway. What can be done to stop this pollution? Surprisingly, a person can helpsave the environment by doing simple things.

First, we need to recycle,which saves landfill space for other waste and allows products to be used overand over again. Recycling just one aluminum soda can saves the energy equivalentof half that can filled with gasoline. Recycling can also reduce the number oftrees cut down to produce paper products. It takes very little effort; it is nothard to place plastic and glass bottles, aluminum cans and paper in a bin. Anyonecan do it.

Second, we need to watch the amount of water used in the home.It can be conserved by taking short showers instead of baths, repairing leakyfaucets, using the dishwasher or washing machine only when fully loaded, orsimply turning the faucet off while brushing your teeth. Even though there isplenty of water on Earth, only a very small percentage is fit for humanconsumption. We need to help save this water every way we can. Water is avaluable resource that can be wasted as easily as it can be conserved.

Third, we need to reduce waste. This goes hand-in-hand with recycling. We need torecycle whenever possible, but should also try to use this waste effectively. Forexample, grass clippings and food scraps can be made into compost for plants.Plants love to eat that kind of stuff! The average person produces 4.3 pounds ofwaste every day, but we can reduce that amount by recycling andreusing.

Pollution is inevitable, and landfill areas are filling up. Ourwater supply is being contaminated, and cars keep creating more air pollution.But if we do our part in our own homes, we can help keep the planet from becomingmore polluted.

Gerby said...
Dear Unknown Writer,             I am responding to your article, “Saving the Environment, One Home at a Time” because me myself and concerned about the lack of knowledge about how some common everyday items can cause such harm on the environment.  I believe that something needs to be done quickly because pollution is one of the biggest global killers, affecting over 100 million people.  That comparable to global dise... (more »)

Tails915 replied...
Jul. 30, 2015 at 9:32 am
Thank you!