Saving the Environment One Home at a Time | Teen Ink

Saving the Environment One Home at a Time MAG

Pollution can be seennot only throughout the world, but also in our own homes. It comes from householdchemicals, the amount of water people use and the waste people produce and throwaway. What can be done to stop this pollution? Surprisingly, a person can helpsave the environment by doing simple things.

First, we need to recycle,which saves landfill space for other waste and allows products to be used overand over again. Recycling just one aluminum soda can saves the energy equivalentof half that can filled with gasoline. Recycling can also reduce the number oftrees cut down to produce paper products. It takes very little effort; it is nothard to place plastic and glass bottles, aluminum cans and paper in a bin. Anyonecan do it.

Second, we need to watch the amount of water used in the home.It can be conserved by taking short showers instead of baths, repairing leakyfaucets, using the dishwasher or washing machine only when fully loaded, orsimply turning the faucet off while brushing your teeth. Even though there isplenty of water on Earth, only a very small percentage is fit for humanconsumption. We need to help save this water every way we can. Water is avaluable resource that can be wasted as easily as it can be conserved.

Third, we need to reduce waste. This goes hand-in-hand with recycling. We need torecycle whenever possible, but should also try to use this waste effectively. Forexample, grass clippings and food scraps can be made into compost for plants.Plants love to eat that kind of stuff! The average person produces 4.3 pounds ofwaste every day, but we can reduce that amount by recycling andreusing.

Pollution is inevitable, and landfill areas are filling up. Ourwater supply is being contaminated, and cars keep creating more air pollution.But if we do our part in our own homes, we can help keep the planet from becomingmore polluted.

Tails915 said...
on Jul. 30 2015 at 9:32 am
Tails915, Holbrook, New York
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment
Thank you!

Gerby said...
Gerby, Ormond Beach, Florida
Dear Unknown Writer,             I am responding to your article, “Saving the Environment, One Home at a Time” because me myself and concerned about the lack of knowledge about how some common everyday items can cause such harm on the environment.  I believe that something needs to be done quickly because pollution is one of the biggest global killers, affecting over 100 million people.  That comparable to global diseases like malaria and HIV.  Not only does it affect people though, as many as 1 million sea birds and 100,000 sea mammals dies each year from pollution.  You want to know why, because we throw around 14 billion pounds of garbage into the ocean every year.  That is completely ridiculous and we could save them by simply doing exactly what you said, throw objects like glass bottles, plastic, aluminum cans, and paper into a little recycling bin, something anyone could do.  Even taking shorter showers, reusing the backs of paper, and not running the water while you brush your teeth are great ideas and, if not that someone needs to bring it to the attention of the city.  All I can say is that I completely agree with your ideas and opinions and hope one day someone will take action on it.                                                                           Sincerely                                                                                     Gabrielle Johnston