White Memorial Forest | Teen Ink

White Memorial Forest MAG

By Anonymous

      My little Saturn's engine roars as I speed around the curves. Onthe map this road is marked "scenic drive," and for good reason. I'mgoing north to Litchfield, a small town with beautiful woods and an incrediblenature preserve, White Memorial Forest. The beautiful landscape makes it hard topay attention to the road. Farms fly by; trees full of green, orange, yellow,brown hang over the road, turning it into an incredible tunnel. Finally I am inLitchfield. I park on the side of the road and enter the forest.

As I steponto the trail and take my first steps away from the road, I feel that I am in adifferent world. Every thought changes; I no longer worry about school, otherpeople, or work. Instead I step into the forest where the thoughts of trees,grass, and earth run through my body like currents. I feel rejuvenated, and thatthe trees share a portion of their awesome power with me. I feel so full ofstrength and energy that I can't just walk, I have to run.

I run alongthe trail, turn into a small path, and trip over a root that has been wisely seton the trail by a tricky oak tree. Instead of getting upset, I laugh, get up andkeep running. Finally, I almost fly into a lake. I wipe the sweat from myforehead and look at the incredibly still and beautiful water. I can see myreflection, but I do not see the same face that stared at me from the mirror thismorning. That face was of a tired human being who did not get enough sleep, whowas exhausted by constant physical and mental exercise, tired of those sameworries and problems. The face I saw in the water was full of energy. It had thelook of a small tree ready to grow faster and become bigger than any otherdweller of the forest, thirsty to live. I look up and see the sun rolling down tothe side of the sky and realize it is time for me to leave.

A smilecrosses my face as I say farewell to the beautiful forest. As I jump in the car Istill feel full of energy, ready for any kind of challenge, ready to enjoylife.

Everyone should go to a forest and spend time inside its magicalboundaries. Find this simple connection to nature, this link inside you, and youwill gain an incredible friend for life. It will give support in the hardestsituation for nothing but a little respect in return. It will never betray you,unless you betray it. It will never leave you, and with your last breath it willconsume you to take part in this great current of life.