Screen Addicted | Teen Ink

Screen Addicted

January 29, 2012
By Anonymously_Izzy BRONZE, New York, New York
Anonymously_Izzy BRONZE, New York, New York
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Decide that you want it more than you're afraid of it."- Bill Cosby


Admittedly, I was not as aware that people were becoming addicted to technology as much as I probably should have but after reading Ray Bradbury's 'Farenheit 451' it truly shed some light on the situation.

The similarities between our society and the society in the book are bone rattling. I think people are becoming far too addicted. Myself included. I used to read much more than I do now. Now that most of my homework is done on my laptop I have to spend more time on it and I get distracted by other things.

I think we should become more aware of ourselves and our technology-use. Reading is good for us and the environment because your not wasting electricity on Facebook, your turning a page to Oedipus Rex (a play by Sophocles that I highly recommend just saying).

In the book people don't care about each other. They hate feeling emotions. They take pills and watch TV and don't pay attention to politics.

We aren't at that extreme (yet). And I hope we never get there. Maybe I'm being paranoid but are world is slowly being filled with pollution because of videogames and other useless products.

Stop and think, is it all worth it? Is this healthy? Maybe I could go use my library card or take a walk? After this I'm going to read for at least an hour and study. No more laptop unless it's for writing.

I'm always interested in other people's opinions so if you want to challenge my theory or add your own or both please do it!

Just stay within the standards of basic courtesy.


The author's comments:
This is an article inspired by Fahrenheit 451. I am very concerned about the environment and society.