Screen Addicted | Teen Ink

Screen Addicted

By Anonymously_Izzy BRONZE, New York, New York
Anonymously_Izzy BRONZE, New York, New York

"Decide that you want it more than you're afraid of it."- Bill Cosby

Admittedly, I was not as aware that people were becoming addicted to technology as much as I probably should have but after reading Ray Bradbury's 'Farenheit 451' it truly shed some light on the situation.

The similarities between our society and the society in the book are bone rattling. I think people are becoming far too addicted. Myself included. I used to read much more than I do now. Now that most of my homework is done on my laptop I have to spend more time on it and I get distracted by other things.

I think we should become more aware of ourselves and our technology-use. Reading is good for us and the environment because your not wasting electricity on Facebook, your turning a page to Oedipus Rex (a play by Sophocles that I highly recommend just saying).

In the book people don't care about each other. They hate feeling emotions. They take pills and watch TV and don't pay attention to politics.

We aren't at that extreme (yet). And I hope we never get there. Maybe I'm being paranoid but are world is slowly being filled with pollution because of videogames and other useless products.

Stop and think, is it all worth it? Is this healthy? Maybe I could go use my library card or take a walk? After this I'm going to read for at least an hour and study. No more laptop unless it's for writing.

I'm always interested in other people's opinions so if you want to challenge my theory or add your own or both please do it!

Just stay within the standards of basic courtesy.

This is an article inspired by Fahrenheit 451. I am very concerned about the environment and society.

on Nov. 30 2013 at 12:04 am

I know that it is a year later but thank you so much for your words!  I completely agree with the points that you made as well!  Right now I'm hopeful that literature will make a come back.  I think it is in some ways and we can only hope that it will continue in a direction that will saturate our minds and not narrow them.

Jesse said...
I think you've made an important connection with the theory in the story and the global, industrialized society.  I'd like to add that I think our society has become exceedingly (indeed almost exclusively) visual.  By that I mean we depend so much on how something looks, or watching, or observing, and so much less on deliberating, feeling, exercising, and exploring.  It seems that this (visual) turn in society has drawn out part of the hyper-individualized state of the masses.  We see things, and we internalize them as far as only visual stimulus will let us.  We also seem to care only for this, and not so much for things such as politics and other people/strangers (at least that's what it seems to me, generally).   But there is hope yet!  Critical thinking and question-asking (like your essay here) will help welcome the dawn of shared (dare I say, "free"?) education.  And I mean full, comprehensive, critical and powerful education available to all.  That is really the great potential of all this technology.  Only now, at best, it has brought us greater communication by speed and breadth.   Peace and Love, Comrade :)