Putting an End to Whaling | Teen Ink

Putting an End to Whaling

By Jillybean59 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Jillybean59 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

1-17-12

Imagine a whale swimming around. Flipping over on its back, as it just swims and enjoys life. Little does the poor whale know that there has been a boat following it that says “research” on the side. In the blink of an eye the whale feels a sharp pain of a harpoon being shot into it. As it is being elevated to the side of the boat; all the whale can do is scream its heart out in hopes of someone coming to rescue it; while it is being stabbed at till finally you just hear silence.
First, my opposing side may argue that they are doing research on the whales. Let me ask you something though, does research really include killing about one thousand whales each year? If they were really doing research in the first place they would know that whale meat is actually very poisonous. The free lunch given to the children of Japan in school has whale meat in it. The people of Japan don’t even know this; in fact 97% of people in Japan have had whale meat and don’t even know it. The thing about whale meat is that it has a high amount of mercury in it, that is very harmful. To think these poor children are eating a hot meal of free poison is just sad.
Next, my conflicting side may argue that whales are good resources for our needs. Things like oil lamps, soap, polish for leather, cosmetic cream and medical cream all have whale in them. I am almost positive that we can live without some of these things; and as for necessities, like soap and medical cream, I am sure with our amazing scientific research that they can come up with a better alternative to whale, if they haven’t already.
Finally, twenty-nine million dollars from the national post- tsunami recovery fund was given to whaling. I can’t believe that millions of dollars were taken away from people in need; people that have lost their homes, family, just everything and what do they do with that money they spend it to go and kill some whales! It hurts me to know that there were people out there that needed help and they took the money away for such a cruel and useless thing.
As you know whaling is making the whales and people of Japan suffer greatly. Please try and help these astonishing creatures and spread the word to end whaling once and for all.

I wrote this article to send to everyone, people like The President of the United States, senators and governors.
This article is suppose to info people about the cruel whaling that is going on in Japan; and to try and put an end to it.