Is There Another Way? | Teen Ink

Is There Another Way?

Energy, it powers our cars, home appliances, and basically every device we use today. Without energy we would not get anywhere unless we walk, run, or bicycle there. To sum it all up, we need energy. But there is a down side, our supply of fossil fuels, which we use to power our cars and homes, is limited. Fossil fuels also are polluting the air we breathe. With the idea of hurting the environment weighing on our conscience and this limited supply, we need to create an alternative fuel source that is better for the environment and is renewable.

New York City is like a bubble of pollution. Smog covers the city streets and fills the air. Where did all this smog come from and why is there so much? The emissions from the some 5,000,000 cars and taxis are the main cause of the collection of so much smog. Ever wondered why someone’s car from New York‘s color is faded even though it is a fairly new model? The color fade is from the acid in the air, smog, erodes away the color leaving a faded look.

Pollution is not just wreaking havoc on New York; it is also affecting other “big” cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston and the “small” cities too. The United States is ranked along with China, Japan, Russia, and Mexico as the world leaders in air pollution emissions. Obviously this is a problem. A solution needs to arise with the specifications:
1.
Must have a reduced amount of harmful emissions.
2.
Must have the power equivalency of fossil fuels.
3.
Must be renewable.
In order to meet the specifications stated above, the new form of fuel has to be a creative and out-of-the-box idea that might just be crazy enough to work.

The solution I propose is to use the harmful ultraviolet radiation to power homes and most importantly our vehicles. This idea is not as farfetched as you may think; Japan’s National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) have successfully created an ultraviolet solar cell prototype. The solar cell is a transparent solar cell that uses ultraviolet radiation to create energy. Since the cell is transparent, natural light is allowed to pass through it. Because of this, a practical location to place the cell is as a window combining the use of natural lighting and power generator.

Pollution is a problem that needs to be addressed now so we can save the future of the planet. Pollution is not just a problem here in the United States, but all over the world. Car emissions are the leading cause for pollution and in order to lessen car emissions an alternative fuel source is needed. My solution was to use ultraviolet radiation and Japan’s AIST has proven that a transparent solar cell that utilizes ultraviolet radiation as the power generator. That just goes to show you that thinking-outside-of the-box can lead to a scientific breakthrough that can very well just change the world.