It's Not Too Late Yet | Teen Ink

It's Not Too Late Yet

By Adi12345 PLATINUM, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
Adi12345 PLATINUM, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

Is the world going to perish once and for all? For years, global warming has proved to be pathos for Earth and its inhabitants, and is a result of primarily human activity. If humans don’t spontaneously obstruct this critical arising calamity, the Earth could transform into a barren wasteland, just like Mars.

Global warming is the augmentation of temperature due to the upsurge of emission of greenhouse gasses. According to the National Climatic Data Center, over the past years, the Earth has warmed approximately five degrees Fahrenheit. It may not seem like much, but it can add up like pennies merging to become a dollar. Greenhouse gasses are comparable to a blanket covering Earth. This “blanket” deflects a majority of the sunlight that abets Earth to thrive. Nonetheless, it does propel a diminutive quantity of the heat, keeping the Earth at an average temperature of 60 degrees (Fahrenheit). The more greenhouse gasses that continue to develop, the more heat will be trapped. Soon, we may face a sudden upsurge of temperature, which is disadvantageous in several aspects. Such a devastating hypothetical catastrophe is what Earth is currently facing in the eye.
Deforestation is a major cause of what we call global warming. Because of chopping down trees, to begin with, we spoil beautiful scenery, while brutally destroying the habitats of innocent, unique creatures. Furthermore, we are limiting the amount of goods we obtain from forests. Most vitally, deforestation reduces the number of trees in the forest. Trees are an immense source of oxygen, retransforming the deadly gas that humans daily regularly breathe out. Thus, a greater amount of carbon dioxide is daily and annually released, further contributing to the development of greenhouse gasses.
Ever since the Industrial Revolution, more fossil fuels have been utilized, which also contributes to the worldwide problem. We use oils, such as methane, to fuel vehicles, cooking supplements, manufacture of goods, and countless other purposes. Causing a shortage of fossil fuels also means that when we finally exhaust our precious and limited resources, our conditions are comparable to those of a stranded person in the Sahara. The Industrial Revolution also leads to pollution, which, in turn, causes an increase in toxic, global warming causing gasses. When we drive a vehicle, carbon monoxide is released from the exhaustion unit, similar to factories. Carbon monoxide is very toxic, and can instantly raze all life forms. However, not only can carbon monoxide directly trigger global warming, but can also finish off trees, which in turn increases carbon dioxide.

Global warming possesses an ostensibly insurmountable amount of tension. Among all the causes of tension is flooding. Because water molecules become excited and take up more space, water expands when it is heated. Water expanding is one of the contributors of the rise of the water level. Along with the water heating up, ice caps and regions of Antarctica are melting due to the increase in temperature! This also leads to the rise of the water level. It has been estimated that the water level will swell by 20 inches every century! As a result, coastal regions will be majorly affected due to flooding, and even intensified tsunamis. Moreover, there will be a drastic increase of waterborne diseases, such as Amoebiasis, Cryptosporidiosis, and Giardiasis. In addition, the upsurge of the water level has already caused the deaths of several species. Mainly, they include animals in the North and South Pole, but also other species which have perished in floods. Before we know it, we could also be in the list of extinct species.

Global warming can cause extreme natural disasters. During warmer seasons, there will be more evaporation, and more clouds will be naturally fashioned. This is essential to avoid, as cloud formation release heat, as well as increased precipitation; currently, awesome amount of tropical storms have been recorded ever since signs of global warming. Plus, some areas receive extreme rainfall, while others suffer from droughts. An extremely severe heat wave in Europe during the summer of 2003 led to over 20,000 deaths! At this rate of temperature rise, the world will be facing more of the natural effects mentioned above, and perhaps more.

There is, however, one advantage of global warming. This advantage goes to the agricultural field, because the growing season will be extended, and fields of some crops will grow more extensive.

Global warming may seem like it is going to completely destruct the Earth. Yet, there are still ways that humans can stop this calamity. Already, we are somewhere near a beginning of the dissolving the cataclysmic global warming because of the Kyoto Protocol. In 1997, representatives from 160 countries met at Kyoto, Japan to draft an agreement, the Kyoto Protocol. This agreement restricted the amount of annual greenhouse gas emissions per country. Inarguably, you can conclude that if the other 35 countries attended this meeting, global warming risks would’ve been reduced even further.
In order for us to make a difference, we can start to progressively alter our lifestyles. For instance, we can install a solar paneled roof to abet the depletion of factory-generated electricity. We can also conserve our resources, which implies to simple, but environmentally efficient actions, such as turning off the tap and light switch when you’re not using it. Recycling, reducing, and reusing are the three Rs that can guide us to make better use of garbage, rather than littering and trashing. Switching from your car to your bicycle as much as possible can also deplete the release of carbon monoxide, while gardening and growing more green plants will decrease the volume of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Thus, as you can see, we have a great responsibility on our hands. If we don’t do anything about global warming, natural disasters will dominate, and everything we see today may no longer exist, including ourselves. We, humans, started, this problem, and we, humans, must end this problem. Time is ticking, faster than ever, but we still have an opportunity. If we can all split up the immense task, our glorious life and planet may not have to come to an end.