Save the Earth | Teen Ink

Save the Earth

June 2, 2011
By Anonymous

We as humans have been using a lot more energy and resources than we did in the past. Our earth is running out of resources and we seem to try to ignore it. When we leave a light on or leave the water on we don’t notice how much energy and resources we are actually using. If we leave the water on while we are brushing our teeth we can waste about 4 gallons of water. We Americans are now using 127% more water than we did in the 1950’s and 97% of that water goes down the drain. We need to start using water more efficiently and figure out different ways to do that before our situation gets worse.

We use water every day and we are starting to be pretty wasteful. An average family of four uses about 400 gallons of water in a day while many people on the other side of the planet are existing on about 3 gallons of water a day. It would be great if we could also try to fix our leaks because a leaky toilet alone can waste up to 200 gallons of water a day and 13% of our daily water is wasted because of leaks. Some of us also leave the water on while we are brushing our teeth or shaving and just by turning the water off while we are doing that we can save up to 200 gallons of water a month. We need to fix these water problems before it’s too late.

Most people ignore the fact that we are using too much water too fast. If more thought about it and acted upon it we could save a lot of water. Some of the main reasons we need to conserve water are to provide power, grow food, and stay alive, and lot of the people on the other side of the planet aren’t able to stay alive because they don’t have water. If we don’t start trying to save water now we will have some major global problems and some of them are already starting to happen right now. Nearly 1 out of 6 people lack safe drinking water and about 3900 children die a day due to water borne diseases. We need to start thinking about this or we will fall into an almost irreversible trap.

According to the World Bank 80 countries now have water shortages and 2 billion people lack access to clean water. This fact is amazing and it makes you think because we flush down clean drinking water every day while people on the other side of the earth are dying because they don’t have water. Most of the ways that we can waste water can be easily fixed just by doing simple things to fix them. Just by taking a shower instead of a bath we can save 20 gallons of water.

Those were just some of the water problems that we are facing today and to fix them we don’t have to go buy the most water efficient washing machine or dishwasher. We can just stay with the simple stuff like turning off the water or trying to fix leaks while still having a big impact at the same time. These are just some of the ways and reasons of why we should conserve the water that we use and not be so wasteful.