How Genetically Modified Organisms Affect the World | Teen Ink

How Genetically Modified Organisms Affect the World

May 9, 2011
By Anonymous

When you take a plant and mix its genes with other creature’s you destroy the original piece of the nature and have taken and made something that could endanger you and the planet’s ecosystem. Genetically engineering is a relatively new science of taking genes of anything, let’s say a horse, and putting it into a person, and then creating a creature that has horse teeth, flattened out nose slits, and half made human and horse limbs all over its body.

It’s said that genetic engineering will help the agricultural industry by providing farmers with plants that won’t go bad, are tastier, repels insect, and are more nutritional in countries that rely on one prop. The problem with this is when you take anything and mess with its genetic structure, you end up with other undesired traits too. This much is known about GMO’s (genetically modified organisms), and what reporter Shah Anup says is that what scientist’s don’t know is what these undesired traits are, and that their effects on people are completely unknown. Another problem with this is that producers of food don’t have to tell the consumer that their eating food that’s genetically modified, so for all you know, you could be eating chickens crossed with mice. And like the introduction of foreign organisms into an eco-system once it’s there it doesn’t leave. Once you put genes into a plant or animal it’s very hard to take them out, once that animal or plant gets into the wild it’s impossible to contain it. According to Green Peace, nobody has studied the effects of the plants on ecosystems and how they affect them. So when you have corn on steroids taking over your neighborhoods you can blame GMOs.

The major corporations making GMOs are trying to say that engineering plants to have more nutrition in them would help third world countries that only produce one crop, like rice. The problem with third world countries though is economics. GMOs are too expensive for them to purchase and are also patented, so you can’t reuse their seeds. This makes it hard for countries to be profitable from the sale of GMOs on them when they are already trying to support their citizens. A more affordable solution is the introduction of new crops and giving aid to that country.
Genetically modified organisms are a problem to us morally and bodily; this will cause us problems in the future as it already is today. The problem with GMOs is clearly present; they have been for the last ten years and will continue until we stop producing them.