CLIMATE CHANGE: MISUNDERSTOOD AND MISHANDLED | Teen Ink

CLIMATE CHANGE: MISUNDERSTOOD AND MISHANDLED

May 9, 2011
By Spencer Smith BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
Spencer Smith BRONZE, Alpharetta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When the common American hears the phrase “climate change” they usually assume it means “global warming” due to “greenhouse gases” making them uncomfortable and skeptical. However, the theory of global warming and the phenomenon known as climate change are not synonyms for one another. Though the warming of global temperatures is considered a change in climate, the theory of global warming is not scientifically confirmed and only accounts for one of the many different forms of climate change.

Climate change is not a theory; it is an observable and measurable event that is currently happening all across the globe. Birds changing flight patterns, the blurring of seasons, scarcity of water, the melting of the tip of Mount Everest: these are all recordable occurrences that can be confirmed as a change in climate. Though the majority of media coverage on climate change revolves around carbon emission levels and fossil fuels as the major cause of this problem, nature will ultimately change as it always has over the earth’s history. Though we can struggle as much as we want to slow the process of pollution and greenhouse gases, in the end society will have to shift to meet the needs of those in danger of dying out to shifting climates.

This is the real scare of climate change. As fertile lands are shrinking, oceans are rising and clean water supplies are being diluted or evaporated. Even if an enormous global effort could potentially slow the progress of this change, the world needs to prepare for the inevitable. Areas such as alternative fuel, clean energy, water supply, and global relief effort need to take priority over minor emissions regulations. The fastest way to cleanse the pollution we are producing is to reduce and eliminate the necessity of dirty nonrenewable energies. This will not only reduce emissions, but it will also make energy easier to provide for developing countries and allow the world to focus on relieving those affected by climate change. If we can shift our focus away from emissions and regulation and towards investment and progress, the dangers of climate change can be more effectively handled.


The author's comments:
This piece was inspired by all the times I've heard people say they don't believe in global warming because temperatures are getting colder.