Animal Testing for Cosmetics | Teen Ink

Animal Testing for Cosmetics

Imagine being taken away from your friends and family and being put in a wire cage, only coming out when tested on. You’re bored, extremely lonely and terrified. You know after a couple tests, you will be euthanized. That is the life of an animal being tested for cosmetics. In this day on age, animal testing is inhumane and unnecessary. Animal testing for cosmetic purposes should be stopped.

Every year millions of animals suffer and/or die from animal testing for cosmetics. Animals are tested to check the sensitivity of their skin for eye shadow, soap, house cleaners, lipstick, aftershave, shampoo, perfume, sunscreen and many other products’. During these tests animals can get eye and ear infections, blindness, skin irritation and swollen eyes. Many animals break necks and/or spines trying to escape tests. A lot of people’s favorite companies test on animals Including, Johnson & Johnson, Clorox, L’Oreal, Arm & Hammer, Downy, S.C. Johnson, Febreze. Testing methods are determined by the manufactures.

Not only is animal testing cruel, it is not accurate. “For example, LD tests do not measure human health hazards, but only determine how toxic the product is to the type of animal it was tested on”(www.idausa.org) .Test results are different from a cat to a dog, let alone a dog to a human. Every species reacts differently to any to any product so the results are not useful.

Animal testing for cosmetics should be stopped because there are other methods for cosmetic testing. For example, the use of human skin leftover from surgical procedures can be donated to measure the rate at which chemicals are able to penetrate skin also, there are human volunteers willing to help, and they also provide the most reliable source out there.

Animals have been tested on for a long time. Technology exists to stop animal testing for cosmetics, so, testing for cosmetics should be stopped. During tests animals suffer, its inaccurate, and there are other alternatives. Animals give us a lifetime of unconditional love and joy. It is surprising how many animals have suffered for the products we use on a day-to-day basis. It is time to stop animal testing for cosmetics.