Attacks on the U.S | Teen Ink

Attacks on the U.S

By Amanda_R BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Amanda_R BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Only God can Judge me

This research paper is based on the two major bombing events of American history. On both of these events it has caused 2,000 to 4,000 deaths on the one day it happened. It also caused major destruction of American property. From the World Trade Center bombing and the Pearl Harbor Bombing caused America to go into war from both of the attacks. Both of these attacks have affected lives of Americans. In this project it will give you information on the attacks, the enemy’s, the bombed areas, and the way it has changed the life of the U.S.

The Japanese deceived the U.S. by saying false statements and expressed interest in continued peace. Japan was starting to target us because we stop the trading scrap steel and iron. Then we cut of the trading with our oil shipments with Japan. The U.S and Japan tried not to go to war for a couple of months but we knew we were going to have to go to war. Then Japan got a new army officer. His name was General Tojo Hideki. He believed in war against the U.S. The Pearl Harbor was the base for the U.S Pacific fleet. The reason why Japan bombed the Pearl Harbor was because they knew they would pause us from fighting with our Pacific Fleet destroyed.

On the morning of December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japan. We knew there was going to be an attack, we just didn’t know when or where. We had learned how to decode the Japan’s diplomatic messages, so we intercepted one of the messages they were sending. The U.S found out through the message that their aircrafts carriers were moving somewhere in the Pacific. A U.S army private who noticed the large flight of planes on his radar screen was told to ignore them because a flight of B-17s from the continental U.S. was expected around that time. The Japanese force consisted of six carriers with 423 planes. At 6 a.m. the first 83 planes of the Japan’s army took off. At 7 a.m. the attack started at Pearl Harbor and by 9:45 it was over. During the attack the USS Arizona sank with a loss of more 1,100 men, 2,400 Americans had been killed, 1,200 wounded, and 68 of those were civilians. 200 American warplanes had been damaged or destroyed, 18 warships had been sunk or heavily damaged, and including 8 or the 9 fleets battleships.

The World Trade Center Towers bombing took place on September 11, 2001. The World Trade centers were 1, 350 feet tall. They were the tallest buildings in New York and the 5th and 6th tallest in the world. They had 50,000 people worked in the World Trade Center. Another 150,000 to 200,000 business and leisure visitors came to the center daily. The pilots were Al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden, affiliated hijackers. They had hijacked 4 U.S commercial airlines. The aircraft all destined for long flights and heavy with jet fuel, made the crashes big explosions upon impact. Two of the planes went into the Twin Towers. The third crashed into the Pentagon outside Washington D.C. On the fourth plain passengers and crew fought the hijackers to take over the plan and they crashed into a field in Shanksville. This caused 2,752 deaths. This was a terrorist attack. We declared war, and found out that Osama bin Laden and also Al-Qaeda was mostly responsible for the attacks. “The September 11, 2001 attacks were the most deadly international terrorist attack in history and the largest attack on United States territory since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941,” (LERNER)

The presidents, on both of these events, decided to declare war. When we entered the war it was only four years until the war was over. “The war ended on September 2 1945”. (ANSWERS.COM) The war we are in now is still going on. It has been 9 years. President Obama has said our troops are coming home, but they can’t come home until Iraq is completely empty of weapons that could destroy the U.S. President Obama is taking the right steps, but they need to come up with a new way to deal with Iraq. Nine years is to long for our men and women to be in war, and not at home. President Roosevelt led America and Allies to victory over Germany and Japan. With president Obama he has not brought us to the end of the war, but he has keep us in safety. Hopefully our war will end soon.

Some History of the United States.

LunaLover14 BRONZE, ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Illinois

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile way and you have their shoes. ~Author Unknown

Your article was very interesting, but I noticed a minor mistake.  Firstly, America is not currently at war with Iraq we have troops in Afganistan, but we're out of Iraq at the present time.  Secondly,  Iraq never had any weapons.  President Bush said that there were, but that turned out to be a mistake, and an idiotic move on his part.  

Good job with your article though, I liked the rest of it! :)