Let's make this a Community Effort | Teen Ink

Let's make this a Community Effort

By lexseyloo BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon
lexseyloo BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon

-I sing straight from my heart right into yours. <3

We as a community need to begin to rise up and take more responsibility for the things that go on around us. We need to begin to think about who we are and who we want to be; We need to think about what we are actually thinking about.

Everyday we go about living our lives and not thinking twice about throwing a piece of garbage or trash on the ground. It seems to be okay enough; everybody seems to do it. But what people don’t think about anymore is how that looks to others when they visit our area. Wouldn’t we rather look classy than trashy? We need to stop being so selfish and stop using the phrase “But it isn’t mine to pick up!” we are responsible for our own area no matter who was at fault. It doesn’t take any extra time out of your day accept a few seconds to bend down and toss that wrapper in the garbage. And to those of you that are the people who actually throw your trash on the ground; it’s already in your hand, just keep walking until you find the garbage!

Why is it that we seem to have no problem judging the actions and appearance everyone around us including our friends, parents, teachers or even strangers. We should be spending our time reasoning and being understanding and compassionate with others instead of filling our heads with horrible thoughts of them. There is no reason to be mean, hurtful, or judgmental towards anyone; ever! Don’t do it! I think that it is time to take a look at what we can do to spread joy and positive thinking. It’s time to change old habits and come together as a community family. Wouldn’t it be great if the Bend/Redmond community could be the beginning of a whole world movement that created and spread nothing but joy and positive energy?!

Imagine if we all came together to make this happen. Imagine how wonderful we would all feel on a daily basis! When we feel good, more good things will begin to happen. Good things for all of us.

This is an Op-Ed Piece that I had to write about a current event, I tried to think out of the box and write on something that people care about but that is not too ordinary.

smith said...
true, life would be more easier if we all come together and work as one. no matter if its your falt or someone else.however this is the real world.