Winter Wonderland This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Snow-capped evergreens cascade down one side of the driveway. Each tree feels the tremendous weight on its tall, strong limbs. Paw prints are scattered all over the soft, colorless terrain. Leaves disintegrate, leaving branches bare. Rose red to light brown, the shrubs transform through drastic changes in the weather.

Boughs of pine trees protrude festively from garden pots. A rustic bird bath stands in the snow-covered garden with no birds to bathe in its frigid water.

Shadows cast by the setting sun create once-in-a-lifetime images. Each shadow contains numerous charcoal and chalky abstract lines. Snow glistens, and then a washed cobalt bird flies across the horizon; there is life in this endless cold season.

Pure snow is converted into waxlike xanthous, leaving a stain. As the luminous canvas begins to extinguish, darkness takes over and night begins. I remember trudging across the open yard playing hide and seek with my neighbors. Each darkness brought its own adventure.

Sun has melted the snow, leaving the ground moist. Water runs deep into the earth's chest. Trees rebound from the treacherous winter. Birds return from their winter homes. Pine trees stand tall after the heaping snow has melted from their limbs.

Deer run freely in the back yard with their fawns. Paw prints vanish from the melting snow. Tree buds turn into blossoms. Flower bulbs planted deep in the soil grow with snaillike speed. The drastic changes in the season bring new life.