Pollutant | Teen Ink

Pollutant

November 17, 2010
By Anonymous

Do you ever think about what you throw away? Where you throw it away? If not, it is a bad habit that should be addressed. Due to an overwhelming amount of pollutants in the waterways, specifically, the Potomac River, fish are dying at a record speed. The abnormalities in the fish should serve as a warning for everyone. The Potomac River may seem like a small problem; however it is where ninety percent of the drinking water in the D.C area comes from. The chemicals that people often discover in the water are that of animal wastes, veterinary products, pesticides, pharmaceuticals and other personal care products. It isn’t any one of these chemicals that is causing a problem. However, the combination of them all is deadly. Not only is the water affected, the fish are as well. Nearly eighty percent of the fish have the intersex condition (in other words eighty percent of fish are hermaphrodites). Although it is not yet determined the severity this pollution has on humans. Researchers have come to the conclusion that it is affecting the fish. So the next time you throw away a bottle, piece of paper, or trash make sure you recycle it or find a trash can. Littering is a ludicrous problem that should be addressed immediately.