Pollutant | Teen Ink

Pollutant

Do you ever think about what you throw away? Where you throw it away? If not, it is a bad habit that should be addressed. Due to an overwhelming amount of pollutants in the waterways, specifically, the Potomac River, fish are dying at a record speed. The abnormalities in the fish should serve as a warning for everyone. The Potomac River may seem like a small problem; however it is where ninety percent of the drinking water in the D.C area comes from. The chemicals that people often discover in the water are that of animal wastes, veterinary products, pesticides, pharmaceuticals and other personal care products. It isn’t any one of these chemicals that is causing a problem. However, the combination of them all is deadly. Not only is the water affected, the fish are as well. Nearly eighty percent of the fish have the intersex condition (in other words eighty percent of fish are hermaphrodites). Although it is not yet determined the severity this pollution has on humans. Researchers have come to the conclusion that it is affecting the fish. So the next time you throw away a bottle, piece of paper, or trash make sure you recycle it or find a trash can. Littering is a ludicrous problem that should be addressed immediately.

on Jul. 13 2012 at 10:08 pm
soccerangel9494 GOLD, AMISSVILLE, Virginia

"No matter what the weather always bring your own sunshine"

I used to take spanish, but I dropped it my senior year

on Jul. 13 2012 at 4:29 pm
Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)

:) While recycling has become a lot bigger than ever before, a lot of people don't realize where their "stuff" goes after their trash can is emptied. I like this article, more people should read it. By the way- do you take spanish? Because based on where you live, if you go to the school I think you probably do, you would have my mom as a teacher.