Dear Meat Eaters | Teen Ink

Dear Meat Eaters

By Mia54 BRONZE, Lakeforest, Maryland
Mia54 BRONZE, Lakeforest, Maryland

Every year, approximately ten billion animals are brutally slaughtered for human consumption. You should not support the killing of animals because the are mistreated, unhealthy to eat, and eating meat is not natural.

Animals raised in slaughter houses are extremely mistreated. A cow, to be healthy, needs shelter. The Summer heat gets so intense that the cow needs a break from the sun. In the Winter, the winds get so harsh that the cow needs protection. They also need a constant supply of water. Yes, cows get dehydrated. Cattle need a healthy diet consisting of grains, hay, and plenty of pasture. A cow needs a clean, safe home. If a cows home is not clean it will become infected with all sorts of diseases. Slaughter houses neglect the cattle's needs. The cows are often without water and healthy food. Instead, they are fed artificial food and stuffed with discusting (sp?) hormones. The cows live in extremely unclean environments. Their barns are so rarely cleaned, that the cows are constantly subjected to disease. As for how they are put to death, it is not better. The animals are tortured for hours before actually dying. They are hung by their feet and painfully skinned alive. It is not right.

Eating meat is unhealthy. Have you ever REALLY thought about what you put into your body? Don't worry if you haven't, just read on. Remember, everything the animals eats, you eat, too. The pig eats slop. Literally. Slop can mean anything at all. All slaughter house animals are fed artificial hormones that cause them to grow at an unnatural rate. What does that mean? Yup, you're eating the artificial hormones, too. The animals are kept in discustingly(sp?) unclean environments. They live in and carry a variety of diseases. So you would be eating a diseased animal. Meat is extremely high in fat and cholesterol. Eating meat has been linked to heart disease, cancer, clogged arteries, diabetes, as well as many other serious diseases. Any nutrients found in meat can be found in a healthier, plant based food.

Eating meat is not natural. Humans are naturally herbivores. You may be thinking, "But we eat meat all the time!" An omnivore, such as a dog, can eat meat raw and straight from the carcass. Humans, however, must cook the meat first. Humans have characteristics much more similar to herbivores than carnivores and omnivores. For example our teeth, intestinal tracks, digestive systems, nails, and out jaws. As well as quite a few more traits. We are not omnivores naturally.

You should not support the killing of animals because they are severely mistreated, unhealthy to eat, and eating meat is not natural.

This is not intended to be an offensive piece. I understand that many will not agree with it. Anyways, I was inspired to create this piece because I am a supporter of animal rights and vegetarianism. I hope that people learn about what goes on behind the scenes whether or not they choose to continue supporting it. I hope you all enjoy my article.

mikey220 said...
I completely agree with you, except for the fact I don't believe they torture animals at all. But the part about eating meat being in the Bible, right on!

writingchick GOLD, Huntington, Indiana

"Faith is taking another step without seeing the entire staircase."

Um, I don't know why that appeared twice on my comment . . . haha

writingchick GOLD, Huntington, Indiana

Here's what I think. I agree in a way and disagree in another.

A: I am a HUGE animal lover! I think that in some instances they are in fact raised, treated, and slaughtered inhumanely. I 100% disagree with that. I think there is always a way to be more humane than some people are.

B: I don't think that eating meat is wrong. I have read straight from the bible where it says that we were given power over animals and they are here for our food.

As far as your essay, overall it was well written, however, you bring up the sam point several times and don't mention many new ones. Try coming up with different reasons and words to mix it up a bit.

But, like I said, overall good job!

on Nov. 27 2010 at 12:32 am
mountainlover16 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

"I went to the woods because i wished to live deliberately" -Thoreau

writing about this topic is really hard, especially because people have different opinions on the ethical treatment of animals.  I'm a vegetarian myself and agree with you.  In many butcher houses that is how animals are killed (watch Food Inc) but on farms its different.  and when you said that humans aren't supposed to be eating meat, it's actually been proven that meat promoted brain growth and language when we were evolving.  you've got guts writing about this.

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Well, if you would like a review of how the article was written, it was written very well.

But I also agree with those who commented below. This was not well researched.

And half of the point of posting an article and part of the way to get published is to have people agree with you. Apparently a lot of people don't agree with you. So, don't get mad at them for that.

Very well-written article, but I don't agree.

Mia54 BRONZE said...
Mia54 BRONZE, Lakeforest, Maryland
I live on a farm.

Mia54 BRONZE said...
Mia54 BRONZE, Lakeforest, Maryland

Look, this was not meant to start a stupid debate. I suggest you all watch some videos of slaughterhouses or perhaps visit one. I'm perfectly aware that some farms have better conditions but this is not usually the case. Many slaughterhouses do, in fact, treat the animals as I have described. There are many perfectly healthy people, myself included, that do not eat meat. And there are many people with health problems from eating too much meat. True, small amounts of meat can be healthy, but not as healthy as a good, meat free diet. 

The fact that we must cook our meat in order to eat it and not become ill shows that we are not meant to eat it.  Our physical traits are much more similar to an herbivore than an omnivore or a carnivore. 

It is extremely immature to give my article a low rating simply because you do not agree with the topic. 

rachelsmith said...

Tortured? Hung by their feet and skinned alive? Uh-huh. Have you ever been to a farm? Have you ever watched an animal be butchered? They are shot, have their throaght slit or knocked on the head. Their death is quick and painless.

Plus the whole thing about us not being "natural omnivores"...have you ever compared humans teeth to that of an omnivore (no, not dogs, because, yes, they do eat veggies, but that has been bred into them, they are carnivores)? Our teeth are naturally designed to eat meat.

And if we were not made to digest meat, we would be sick all the time. We're not. Get some better facts. Talk to some doctors. Do some research.

Where on EARTH did you get your research?? None of this is true.

First of all, more health problems are related back to NOT eating meat than TO eating meat and animals are not RAISED in slaughter houses. They are raised on farms with farmers who take very good care of them and make sure they are healthy to eat. They are then sent to slaughtered houses to be butchered.

This whole article is a lie. Get some better facts (actually get some TRUE facts) before you go running your mouth about something you know NOTHING about.

I do eat meat. I used to live on a farm where we raised meat animals. Meat is and always has been healthy. Eating meat is natural. Not eating meat leads to many health issues. We are omnivores naturally. And I do not agree with this article. Thank you for your opinion, but I will continue to eat meat as long as I choose. In fact, I just ate chili with beef. So, yeah, thanks.